UGGS: they may hurt us more then they help us.

classic-uggsSince the winter weather has finally set in and we are facing below freezing temperatures daily, UGG season has officially started. I have been wearing these comfy, but ugly shoes for almost 10 years now and this year all of sudden they brought along with them back aches, sore knees and even foot cramping. It got me thinking, are my favorites comfortable shoes bringing me pain?

UGGS is a monopoly of unisex sheepskin boots and slippers. Although they are by far the most comfortable shoe you have ever put on your foot maybe they are not the best for your feet. In fact, UGG boots have zero support for your foot and ankle; many people have complained of pain while/after wearing the shoe.  By wearing shoes with limited to no support doctors claim that this could lead to swollen ankles, foot pain and even arthritis.

James Woodburn, Sharon Barker, and Philip S Helliwell conducted a randomized controlled study to investigate if placing orthotics in people’s shoes would prevent them from continuing on the track to get arthritis. They had a control group of 48 received foot orthoses and demonstrated an immediate clinical improvement. The results continued to improve over a 30-month period and the trial concluded that custom designed foot reduced foot pain by 19.1%.

uggI thought this was a really good study and highly suggested that we should not just continue to walk in our non-supportive UGGS but we should put orthotics in them so that we can prevent ourselves from having foot pain later on. I think increasing the sample size and trying to control for the confounding variables could improve this trial. The variables I would try and control for would be; activity level, age, gender.  However, despite looking at the roomy shoe as the cause for the feet problems, one could blame other shoes with a lack of support for the issues as well for the majority of people’s pain.  Also, it is important to note the arch is non-existent, affecting many as arches vary.

After researching more I found that Taylor Carroll of SC200 in 2012 wrote an article called “the Truth about UGGS”. She suggested that we do not have to give up on these comfortable shoes but we can modify them to not damage your feet with every step you take. Carroll brought up the point of excessive sweating in UGGS because they are installed with fur. She mentioned adding powder to your socks to provide your foot with extra protection. Protection from what exactly? Foot Fungus.

Considering UGGS barley gives your foot the ability to breathe this is a perfect opportunity for fungus to grow and make your feet itch. Dr.Gregg Cohen is in agreement with this statement and adds that the UGG boot “traps in heat and moisture”.  The best way to prevent foot fungus from growing in UGGS is to wear socks and get over the counter medicine if you find your feet are starting to itch.

Through all of my research I have not found sufficient evidence to convince me to stop wearing my favorite shoes. I believe that a controlled randomized study needs to be conducted of a large sample size of both men and women, old and young to compare the effect UGGS have one a person’s feet. I believe that after a study like that is conducted we will be able to find more convincing evidence as to whether we need to kick our favorite boots to the curb.

3 thoughts on “UGGS: they may hurt us more then they help us.

1. Ryan Edward Schmidt

In regards to Uggs allowing the ability for fungus to grow, people will wear boots that prevent airflow to feet all throughout these frigid winter months. If Fungus growth occurs regularly because of these specific shoes there need to be adjustments made past just the necessary support adjustments you recommended. It seems men’s Uggs have become more popular over the last few years. I do not own Uggs but its makes this issue more relatable to myself. It turns out boat shoes are also terrible for your feet as well because of the lack of support they provide. More technology needs to be instituted into popular shoes like Uggs and Sperry’s that are slowly killing our feet.

2. Gabriela Isabel Stevenson

I have to admit, I love my uggs and find then comfortable and cozy on a cold day. Even thought it could cause serious foot and ankle damage, I still find myself wanting to slip them on the winter. For girls like me, I can agree that this could be detrimental for one’s health, especially when countered by flip-flops in the summer. Some researchers at Auburn University say that wearing flip-flops too often could even affect the way someone walks permanently. A podiatrist went on the Today show to talk about the little support that flip-flops offer, and I think it balances well with the dangers of UGGS. Here’s the link, check it out and let me know what you think: http://www.today.com/health/heres-how-wear-flip-flops-without-ruining-your-feet-t25116

3. sjb5895

I agree a lot with how you wanted to fix the trial. They should have made the age more rounded, and they should have focused on the support of a shoe rather than the roominess. Maybe the sole of the shoe is the problem, I have shoes that look nice, but the soles are rock hard and they are super uncomfortable. I would agree with your proposal for a randomized control study to answer this question. I never thought of shoes not being supportive enough, so now I will after reading that study and this article.