No More Chemotherapy For Some Breast Cancer Patiens

Hello, My Name is David Haselkorn. I have never had a great interest in Science. This is a subject I have always struggled in and never fully came around to throughout my education. After hearing the way Andrew teaches the course I believe this would be the best way for me to learn about a subject I am not particularly interested in. Since attending the class on Tuesday, the topics discussed have resonated. In particular  things as broad as curing cancer have sparked an interest for me. I wanted to find out more about advancements made in cancer research.

Through what I have read cancer research has made some significant improvements despite the increasing number of cancer patients. One advancement in particular is using information about a persons genetics in order to give certain or proper treatment.

From this information many Breast Cancer patients have been able to avoid chemotherapy all together which is obviously very beneficial. Approximately “35,000 to 40,000 women a year in the United States, and 60,000 to 70,000 in Europe.” A company called MammaPrint has been particularly evolutionary in furthering the research and the process.24CANCER5-master768

I encourage anyone who is interested in this topic to read the article by using this this link, here. I think it always helps to have knowledge about these subjects because many things we learn about in school do not directly impact our lives, but issues such as these do.

One thought on “No More Chemotherapy For Some Breast Cancer Patiens

1. Olivia Mei Zhang

Hey David,
    I also am intrigued by the progression of cancer research, and would like to learn more about how we have advanced in the cure towards cancer. So many people are affected directly and indirectly by this dreadful disease. I find it interesting that we have rectified so many illnesses and epidemics, yet cancer is still so prevalent in our society. I absolutely agree with your last statement about having knowledge over issues that surround us, regardless of personal affiliation. Being informed is the most important thing we can do for ourselves and as a society. Here’s an article: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-53861/Experts-hail-cancer-breakthrough.html about a possible “cancer breakthrough” in the UK.