“A Science Class for People Who Don’t Like Science”

Hi! I’m Chelsea Greenberg and I am a freshman here at PSU. I am an undeclared major, and I have absolutely no clue what I want to major in. My interests are all over the place, from math to sociology to earth science and dinosaurs. Since I have no clue what I want to do, my first semester is just a bunch of gen eds of subjects I have an interest in. While scheduling my courses at orientation, I was looking for a class to fulfill a science gen ed. When I asked my adviser about this class, she said that SC200 is “a science class for people who don’t like science”. This pleased me, seeing as in my biology, chemistry, and physics classes in high school I was basically like this:

chandlerbing

However, this class seems like it will be mentally stimulating as well as meaningful. One of the main reasons that I don’t want to be a science major is that all my life I’ve been told that I should JUST because I’m good at math. I know math and science go hand and hand, but math comes extremely easy to me while science does not. Also, I’m not really interested in physical science, my interests are in earth and the social sciences.

Here is a really interesting article about how birds are descendant from dinosaurs, and how scientists are now saying that dinosaurs had feathers.

I’m looking forward to discussing and learning about intriguing topics this semester!

link to picture: https://grainnenewsie.wordpress.com/2014/11/27/why-my-love-of-friends-will-never-get-old/

2 thoughts on ““A Science Class for People Who Don’t Like Science”

1. jgs5277

Hi Chelsea,

I’m sure your search to find the perfect major for you will work out just fine. Many students don’t know what they want to do, and many end up changing their major (some even in their junior year). You said you enjoy the earth and social sciences, and the only thing I can suggest is maybe looking into anthropology some more. I have found a good place to look into it at http://www.americananthro.org/AdvanceYourCareer/Content.aspx?ItemNumber=1783

I hope you find a suitable major and have a great first year here at Penn State!
    ~ Jon Shanfelder

2. Kaitlyn A Kaminski

Hello Chelsea, being that you are a freshman you still have time to figure out what you want to do. Do not worry about all the people telling you that you need to figure everything out now. I’ll be honest, I have known what I’ve wanted to do for quite some time now- but I still question it sometimes. I think you’ll know when the right career comes to you because- when you know, you know. Here’s a link (I couldn’t figure out how to hyperlink in comments) – http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/02/education/edlife/four-steps-to-choosing-a-career-path.html hopefully this article will give you some insight on picking the right major. I am with you in the same boat on being done with science and leaving it in high school. Best of luck in your next four years- enjoy it here!

Kaitlyn