From “I hate science” to “Science is lowkey my BFF”

Hey SC200,

My name is Taylor Stewart and I am a freshman this year at Penn State. I am so excited to take advantage of everything this university has to offer! And the icecream….. lol (I’m greedy)

Just like so many others, science was never my joy in life. Somehow I feel as though it’s not the actual idea of science, but rather the method in which it was presented to me.

This has pretty much been my attitude in every science class I’ve ever taken:

35637812

Ever since I can remember I’ve been instructed to memorize this planet, that planet, the table of elements, blah blah. The Philadelphia Public School system I was taught in thought it was beneficial for students to operate as little robots, memorizing information and scoring well on exams. This has scarred me for life and since then I have always loathed science classes.  Also, I’ve thought to myself, “Well who the hell are you to tell me this information is written in stone?”. How do we actually know what we’ve been instructed as “scientifically accurate” as such? I’ve found a really interesting article that explores the idea that students are becoming robots. You can access it HERE.

Anyway, when it was time to schedule classes with my advisor at New Student Orientation, I made it 100% clear that science was not for me! I have zero intentions on being a science major because due to poor teaching I have completely shut it out of my list of interests. I feel like you should enjoy what you are learning about, especially if you would like to succeed in the field. With that being said, I believe this class is perfect for me. I’ve always found myself asking questions that no one around me could answer. Questions that will make you think for hours with no final conclusion. So when my advisor suggested this class to me, having read the objective I knew this was perfect. I find it interesting that one simple everyday thing can bring a mind-pondering question to mind. It’s so amazing how we don’t think about these things until it is brought to our attention.

Being that I am striving to get into the Smeal School of Business here at Penn State, this type of class is very useful. The business world requires an abundance of critical thinking, and I just know this class is all for it. I am also very very interested in fashion, design, and art. I originally was on my way to a famous fashion school in New York, called Parsons New School of Design, however, I chose Penn State. I know that this was a better choice because I can still pursue my passion while also learning things that The New School cannot teach me. I’d rather explore the world of business than to be stuck in one field of the business world. Also, I know for sure there is an abundance of science behind art and design. The whole fashion world is based around a certain science; what technology in clothing and accessories work for the human body and which do not. After being in class I began to notice that science actually correlates to my passion of fashion and the arts in many ways, ways that I’ve never thought of prior to class. I am very very excited to learn in this class what I’d probably never thought of had I not come to Penn State, but specifically enrolled in SC200. I like the fact that this class is triggering my passion, which makes it more interesting. Critical thinking in this class is vital, and that is the kind of thinking I wish to do in life. I do not want to be an average thinker. I think it takes a certain level of thinking to be successful in the business world, and this class along with my Economics class will help me greatly. I’m so grateful that I had the opportunity to come to Penn State.

I hope with this blog I haven’t bored you all, but I also hope I’ve made at least one of you laugh or feel like you’re not alone in the simple fact that science isn’t for everyone and that’s OKAY because there is always an aspect of it that will relate to what you are truly passionate about in life!

2 thoughts on “From “I hate science” to “Science is lowkey my BFF”

1. Valerie Lauren Murphy

I can completely relate to your high school science experience. My teachers would want us to memorize information instead of actually understand it. The “why” was never discussed as to the importance of the information or how it fit together with the other concepts we had learned/would be learning. I was memorizing formulas and equations that I really didn’t know how to use or understand how they were relevant. It was a terrible experience, one of the many reasons I did not become interested in pursuing a science major/career…..sorry I had to comment again but I forgot to insert the live link. I think that this is a great article to make you think about the possibilities that come along with the chance of discovering a planet that could be the next Earth.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/25/science/earth-planet-proxima-centauri.html?rref=collection%2Fsectioncollection%2Fscience&action=click&contentCollection=science&region=rank&module=package&version=highlights&contentPlacement=1&pgtype=sectionfront

2. Valerie Lauren Murphy

I can completely relate to your high school science experience. My teachers would want us to memorize information instead of actually understand it. The “why” was never discussed as to the importance of the information or how it fit together with the other concepts we had learned/would be learning. I was memorizing formulas and equations that I really didn’t know how to use or understand how they were relevant. It was a terrible experience, one of the many reasons I did not become interested in pursuing a science major/career.