Science…Fun…Doubtful!

Hello my fellow classmates of SC 200, fall 2016, I am Mya Avant. It is my first year attending Penn State, and previous to moving to State College I lived in two different places. The first place being Delaware, where which I lived in a very suburban area. I moved to South Jersery in 3rd grade. I moved to a very small community, where which everyone knew everyone, and you had to drive 40 minutes to go do anything significantly fun (i.e. movies, mall, dinner, etc.). As much as I loved being able to have what felt like family around me there were many down sides to living there. One which made me have a strong distaste for science. In high school I had a science teacher who although very kind ruined science for me. Not only did he never explain the real life ties to science when he taught, he flat out rarely taught in his classes. This lead me to believe that…

image

… in which science is fun.  Thus, I am not a science major.

I’m taking this course to challenge this thought process of mine. I knew that a large reason I hated science was because I didn’t see how it related to me, and so I’m hoping this class, that is fully based on science in our world, can somehow intrigue me. I am taking this course to give science a second chance because perhaps it’s not science that is the issue but the educational system itself. By this I mean that the structure in which we learn may be fractured, and this may be why we don’t enjoy it. So I ask you all to take a look at this Ted Talk, that made me think of education differently, and give your opinion on what is being stated. Do schools kill creativity?

5 thoughts on “Science…Fun…Doubtful!

1. Claudia Lynn Hatch

Hi Mya! I read your blog post and I totally agree. My earlier science classes totally ruined it for me as well. I just have never thought science would be fun…ever… but this class will hopefully be different! I liked the link that you posted!! I sometimes think that school totally do kill creativity by not allowing us to explore our interests. is another link that talks about the difference in income and the difference between schools!

1. Claudia Lynn Hatch

That was supposed to say here.. but I guess it will work for now!

Hi Mya! I read your blog post and I totally agree. My earlier science classes totally ruined it for me as well. I just have never thought science would be fun…ever… but this class will hopefully be different! I liked the link that you posted!! I sometimes think that school totally do kill creativity by not allowing us to explore our interests. (Here). is another link that talks about the difference in income and the difference between schools!

2. Alexander Mark Schaefer

Hey Mya, I watched the Ted Talk posted. I really can see Ken’s points validated. I’ll look at my little brother’s assignments ( he’s in the sixth grade) and some of them are just awful. It seems to me teachers give them little to no range to explore topics. So what if he’s 12? There has to be a deeper meaning to school at that age other than following a rubric. It’s supposed to be fun. Here’s a link that supports that schools do kill creativity. http://www.salon.com/2015/04/26/how_schools_kill_creativity_forget_standardized_tests_heres_how_we_really_engage_our_kids/

3. Claudia Lynn Hatch

Hi Mya! I read your blog post and I totally agree. My earlier science classes totally ruined it for me as well. I just have never thought science would be fun…ever… but this class will hopefully be different! I liked the link that you posted!! I sometimes think that school totally do kill creativity by not allowing us to explore our interests. HERE is another link that talks about the difference in income and the difference between schools!

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2016/08/property-taxes-and-unequal-schools/497333/