Why not Science? Here’s Why…

Hello everyone!

My name is Cristen Heaton and I am a Junior here at Penn State and I am studying Recreation, Park, Tourism Management (RPTM) with my path being Commercial/Community. I am a Resident Assistant (RA) in East Halls for freshmen! A lot of people think I am absolutely insane for doing it, but I love helping others and spreading my love for Penn State through my residents. Both my parents work at Penn State, my mom works as the assistant to the department head in BBH and my dad works for OPP (Office of Physical Plant). I grew up in a small town called Julian, PA which is 15 minutes away from main campus. I associate myself with being a “townie”. I am apart of the twirling club here at Penn State and I have been twirling since I was 8 years old.

I am the one on the left!

To be completely honest, I am taking this course to fulfill a general education requirement. I heard that Andrew was an awesome professor and really got you to think about the world around you. I am pretty excited to be in this class to hopefully change how I look at the world around me. I have taken Bi Sci 3 before with Christopher Uhl and I loved it, so I thought why not try Sci 200.

When picking a major at Penn State I wanted to do something that would make me happy for the rest of my life and something that I genuinely liked doing. I am a social butterfly so the only major that really clicked with me is RPTM. It isn’t too stressful and I can enjoy myself. Science to me is a scary word. I have so many associations with science but they aren’t great. I have always struggled in science related classes. I think of math equations, chemicals, and more which causes a lot of anxiety. When I think of science I honestly just want to cry because of my past experiences. I am positive that I will enjoy this class and maybe start to associate positive feelings with science.

As I stated above, I am a RA in East halls and I am overseeing 60 new freshmen as they are making their mark here at Penn State. One thing that has been common the first couple days of class is how the transition is very hard for some. This is completely expected as I am a Junior and I am even struggling with the first week of classes with getting so many papers, directions, etc. I want to dig into this topic deeper to try to understand why anxiety is taking over so many people’s lives. I personally struggle with anxiety but it is a personal goal of mine to make sure no one else suffers as much as I did my freshman year. I found this great article by BU Today about anxiety in college and so happens that the study done in the article was done at Penn State! It drives me insane that anxiety can affect students so much that their grades suffer. To me that isn’t fair at all, anxiety is hard to control.

I can’t wait to meet some of you! If you see me in class, don’t be afraid to say hi! I love meeting new people. 🙂

3 thoughts on “Why not Science? Here’s Why…

1. Danielle Megan Sobel

Hey Cristen! Dani here 🙂 Loved reading your blog, girl! If you ever need help on homework or even want to write a blog together, I’m only a hallway away. I love having you as my RA- you made starting freshman year so easy. Since I’m a journalism major and also suffer with anxiety, maybe I’ll write something similar to the BU article you posted.

ATTENTION SCI 200: Cristen’s the bomb you should all meet her and talk to her.

check out this great song to brighten your day. I also recommend we have a floor dance party to T swizzle. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptSjNWnzpjg

2. Christina Rae Locurto

Hi! I loved reading your blog post. I can definitely relate, and understand why science makes you so anxious. I often get very anxious as well, with school being a major contributing factor, so I can definitely understand your dislike for science. I found this neat article that I thought I’d share with you here I found it super relatable, and I’m sure you would too! 🙂