I Like Being Around People

Hi everyone, I’m Natalie Burns. I’m a freshman from Newtown Square, Pa which is about thirty minutes outside of Philadelphia. I was very excited to come to Penn State because some of my distant family has attended here. Besides hearing about their memorable football tailgate or THON stories, they have all acquired a highly respected degree and now have great jobs and, they’re actually happy! I plan on majoring in marketing and hopefully coming out of PSU with a job offer from a great company just as my cousins have.

Honestly, I really don’t have anything against science. I think it is rather interesting and intriguing. However, I like being around people. The thought of spending hours on end in a laboratory alone looking at microscope slides makes me want to stick pins in my eyes, not to be dramatic or anything. I do not want to be a science major because I would rather be interacting with people and traveling places. I would not want to spend all my time naming microorganisms because I have been deprived of real human interaction.

Screen Shot 2016-08-28 at 1.07.04 PM

Despite my view on being the person behind the microscope, I do respect scientists. They are a huge reason why humans have been able to survive for so long. I have always found new research interesting and exciting. In my senior year english class, we had to write a research paper on the topic of our choice. I chose the correlation between colon and breast cancer because it is a topic close to my heart and I was genuinely intrigued. I came across some very fascinating research. I found this research fascinating and amazing because of how far we have come. However, I would like to keep being the person reading the information, not finding it.

My reasoning for choosing this course was because of the discussion and critical thinking aspect. I feel like this course will challenge me to think outside the box and not just copy down textbook information for the next four months.

4 thoughts on “I Like Being Around People

1. Avery Elizabeth Holland

Sorry my link wasn’t working.

Hi Natalie! I’m also looking forward to Penn State’s football games, tailgates and THON. I found your senior year research paper on colon and breast cancer to be a very interesting topic. Breast cancer is also a subject close to my heart as my aunt has battled it several times and is now cancer free! I found another article that talks about other possible causes of breast cancer; dairy being one of them. While it does not discuss dairy products directly causing cancer, it does suggest that women who eat full-fat dairy products after being diagnosed are more likely to die or have greater chances of the cancer returning. I’m looking forward to scientists finding a cure and one day living in a cancer free society.

2. Avery Elizabeth Holland

1. Avery Elizabeth Holland

Hi Natalie! I’m also looking forward to Penn State’s football games, tailgates and THON. I found your senior year research paper on colon and breast cancer to be a very interesting topic. Breast cancer is also a subject close to my heart as my aunt has battled it several times and is now cancer free! I found another article that talks about other possible causes of breast cancer; dairy being one of them. While it does not discuss dairy</a products directly causing cancer, it does suggest that women who eat full-fat dairy products after being diagnosed are more likely to die or have greater chances of the cancer returning. I’m looking forward to scientists finding a cure and one day living in a cancer free society.

3. Ahmed Mohamed

Hey Natalie. As a senior, I think you’re going to love it hear. Im really happy your looking into THON and I highly suggest joining a committee. Here is the link for THONs website (http://www.thon.org). Would love to answer any questions if you have any, I’ve had two committees and this will be my third year as a captain.