Science is NOT for me

Hi everyone! My name is Lauren Hile and I am from State College. (Long way from home, right?) I am a freshman in the college of communications, studying journalism. I chose Penn State, not because it is so close to home (this is my least favorite part about it), but because we have an amazing communications department, and my parents work here, so I couldn’t really justify tuition elsewhere.

I’ve never really liked science or math (even though my mom is a math teacher and my dad is an engineer). I would much rather write a paper or learn a different language than figure out math or science questions. I had ok-ish science teachers throughout middle school and high school, but none of them ever stuck out as my favorite teachers. I didn’t really get much out of the classes that I could use in everyday life, as opposed to my English or Government classes. I’m taking SC 200 for the obvious reason that I need a gen ed, but I am really looking forward to this class. I really like how Andrew will teach the class things that we personally want to know and are curious about. In my past science classes, especially chemistry, I was told that it was the most important thing I would ever learn in my life (which is hard to believe, considering I don’t remember any of it now and have no use to remember any of it anyway), so I like how this class is set up so that while it might not be the most important lessons we learn here at Penn State, we can still use what we learn and actually apply it to our lives.

That being said, I think the world around us is beautiful and amazing. I love the outdoors so I would love to know more about ecosystems and the environment. Here  is an article of the four ecosystems found in Pennsylvania. The picture below is of the falls at Rickets Glenn State Park, my favorite place to hike.

5896198-Delaware_Falls_at_Ricketts_Glen_Ricketts_Glen_State_Park