Science is to Me as Kryptonite is to Superman

Hi All,

My name is Jack Brusco, I am from Queens, NY and I am a freshman here at PSU. I am a big sports fan, especially of the New York Giants. One really cool thing I got to experience in my life was when I got the chance to go to the Super Bowl with my dad and watch my beloved Giants beat the Patriots. I also played a couple years of football in high school and continue to follow the Giants on a regular basis.

INDIANAPOLIS, IN - FEBRUARY 05: Quarterback Eli Manning #10 of the New York Giants poses with the Vince Lombardi Trophy after the Giants defeated the Patriots by a score of 21-17 in Super Bowl XLVI at Lucas Oil Stadium on February 5, 2012 in Indianapolis, Indiana. (Photo by Rob Carr/Getty Images)

I am currently undecided on what to study, however I have ruled out most fields pertaining to science as possible career paths. For whatever reason, the idea of science has never clicked with me. I have never been able to ever thoroughly grasp concepts of science the same way I’ve been able to grasp concepts in other subjects. Throughout my high school career, I’ve had trouble dealing with whatever science course i was taking at the time. Whether it was earth science, biology, chemistry, or physics I always found a way to run into a great deal of difficulty. Interested if others felt my same pain, I did some research and came across this article, which helped me realize that I’m not the only one with difficulty. Due to all these circumstances, I have decided to focus on majors that are associated more with subjects that I have taken a liking to, rather than majors somewhat related to science. I choose to take this course because I felt that it would be different than the courses I had described to have trouble with in the past. I feel that this course will have less to do with actual scientific theories, formulas and understandings, and more to do with everyday occurrences in the world today. I felt that this class has more to do with how science is incorporated into everyday things that are simple and relatable. I am looking forward to a semester of enjoyment when it pertains to science class as opposed to the usual struggle.

One thought on “Science is to Me as Kryptonite is to Superman

1. mak6209

Hey Jack. I’m Max Kesner. You actually went to my high school for a year, but then transferred. http://www.chaminade-hs.org/ Look familiar? I’m pretty sure we had 1st period math with Mr. Carriero together and now you’re in my SC 200 class, what are the chances? Anyways, I’m undecided too and I also struggle with science based courses. I started struggling after I got Bro. Ben for science freshman year, he was a nightmare. Good luck Jack! I’ll see you around.