What even is science?

Hello everyone!

My name is Hannah and I am a junior. I am majoring in architecture which means that I don’t get much sleep during school… Architecture Major

I am also an RA in east so if any East freshmen need a person to study with, just let me know!

I joined this class because the course description reminded me of this episode of John Oliver that perfectly captures the reason why I have such issues with science. I have attached the clip below. John Oliver discusses why media outlets report untrue information regarding science and scientific studies. I find it difficult to trust science when there are so many poorly executed “scientific studies” I want to learn how to distinguish between the accurate and the misguided.

I am not a science major because science is way too complicated and way too flawed for me. I am an artist. I like to create and design. I like to use the right side of my brain, not the left. I am not completely against science because I am really interested in social sciences. I love to learn about how people act and think. That is something that is very important when it comes to designing public spaces in architecture. I absolutely HATE anything that has to do with space. It freaks me out. I got sick watching the movie Gravity. I will never go into space even if someone gave me a million dollars.

Left and Right Brain

I am really excited to take this course and maybe have a better appreciation for everything science has done for us.

Everyone should really watch this clip! It’s 20 minutes long but it’s worth it! John Oliver on scientific studies