Why can’t science just leave me alone?

Science 200 I hope you’re not like all my past science courses. I’m Max Kesner and I would say I have a love/hate relationship with science, except for the fact that there is no love involved at all. I went to a high school ran by religious brothers named Marianists. Classes were almost always excruciatingly boring. Freshman year I took an oceanography course. Teaching said course was a Marianist brother who had the most monotone voice ever, which created a bit of a problem for me. I’m not in this picture, but this is what everyday for four years looked like for me.

Bro Joe Chaminade Lecture

I got detention a couple of times for falling asleep and so did my peers. Needless to say, I didn’t enjoy the class. Sophomore year biology I had a teacher with a great personality who just couldn’t teach to save his life. He was new to the school and couldn’t really adapt to the way things worked there, so the all the students ended up teaching themselves from the textbook. My junior year chemistry class was different. Instead of getting detention for sleeping, I got detention for using a match inappropriately. I had lit a match, but my lab partner never turned the gas for the Bunsen burner on, so I blew the match out and we tried again.

This would have helped me out a lot.

My teacher didn’t care about the reason I wasted a match, he was dead set on giving me detention. Also, I just really never understood chemistry. Senior year physics was the only science class I can say I ever enjoyed. The entire class was formula based, which was great for me because I’m more math oriented.  Except for physics, I don’t like science and majoring in it seems like an absolute nightmare.

Anyways, the reason I’m taking SC 200 is because I didn’t want to take any other general education classes. I was stuck between SC 200 and a meteorology course. Luckily, I picked SC 200. I say luckily because after sitting through two lectures I can tell it’s going to be an interesting class. I won’t fall asleep because Andrew’s voice is not in the least monotone and the class doesn’t have labs so it seems like I have no reason to get into trouble.  I’m looking forward to the rest of the semester, and the fact that science can’t get me detention anymore.