My Dad Tried to get me into Science…

Hi!

I’m Allison Magee!  I’m a freshman in the College of Communications and I hope to major in Public Relations.  I’m from “right outside of Philly” and if you know the area, I’m from Delaware County!  I went to the Academy of Notre Dame for middle school and high school and absolutely loved it there.  Something I was very involved in in High School was theatre.  Anywhere from singing, dancing, acting, shows, small performances, large performances and anything in between!

Science has never been my strong suit.  My dad LOVES science and has always tried to get me into it, but I never quite understood it.  In elementary school, my dad would try to do experiments for me to help me gage the materials we were learning in science class.  He would do experiments like this to make science fun for me.  From dropping an egg without it breaking, to an exploding volcano, my dad was ready to do it.  He even volunteered every year during science week at my elementary school.

I hated every science class until sophomore year of high school.  I was in chemistry, and for some reason, things started to click.  I enjoyed going to class and actually succeeded.  My dad, of course, was overjoyed.  When I tried to take AP Chem junior year, it didn’t fit into my schedule.  So I took Physics, and absolutely hated it.  Senior year I took AP Environmental Science and also hated it.  Mostly because I wasn’t prepared for the AP class due to the fact that my teacher switched halfway through the year.

I always struggled to understand was science.  As much as I tried and studied, I just couldn’t understand what we were learning in class.  I’m excited to take this course because looking ahead at the topics, everything looks very interesting.  I feel that these interesting topics will keep me engaged in class and help me form a love for science.

496241395

Picture from:

http://cache4.asset-cache.net/xc/496241395.jpg?v=2&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=rrMqHdrTW7q5c95sBYLbAaydvACan9_17fKZTf6kcPn4E7a7EztDox4qilcgK1Wo0

5 thoughts on “My Dad Tried to get me into Science…

1. Katherine Guerney

Hey Allison! I’m also a freshman in the College of Communications and I’m majoring in Telecommunications. In high school I was a member of the Drama Club and I really like acting, unfortunately I am not the best singer. My parents also really wanted me to get into science but they never did any fun experiments to try and spark my interest.
    I found this article about why doing experiments helps students become more engaged instead of traditional lecture style teaching.

2. amk6274

Hi Allison, I loved chemistry in high school but it never clicked for me unfortunately. I actually hated experimenting in labs, but I love watching other people perform them. Im glad your dad found an interest in them and hopefully you did too. You should check this experiment out!

1. amk6274