One time in the 5th grade…

I failed my science test about the cell diagram when I was just about 10 years old and at the time, failing was pretty much by biggest fear (well that and dogs). I remember coming home from school crying and swearing that I would NEVER fail again. I wish this was some cute story about how I failed as a child then worked hard and became the next Einstein but it’s totally not. It actually went a lot more like me struggling through 5th grade science and hating every second of it. I did eventually get over it and took some AP science classes in high school but they were far from enjoyable. I thought for about .5 seconds last year that I might want to be an engineer but that was all fun and games until I remembered how much I hated calculus. That all pretty much leads me here, in science 200 fulfilling my natural science requirement and actually being excited for it which is awesome.

Now that I’m done re-living that horrible elementary school experience, I’ll share a little bit about myself. My name is Nicole Trachman and I’m from Toms River, NJ.I’m a sophomore this year and I’m intending to declare a double major with IST and economics. When I’m not here at PSU,  I spend a lot of time at the beach and helping to coach at my old cheer gym. I’m probably the most cereal obsessed person out there (seriously, if I could eat cereal for breakfast, lunch, and dinner I would be in heaven) and I watch Netflix slightly more than your average 19 year old, which is a lot. I’m always looking for new show suggestions so let me know if you have any good ones!

Here’s a picture of a chocolate cake because who doesn’t like chocolate cake, right??

54f6599f1dd5f_-_recipe-chocolate-layer-cake-0110-shlilw-xl

You can find the recipe HERE 🙂

2 thoughts on “One time in the 5th grade…

1. Kameron Villavicencio

Hi Nicole!

I am not from Toms River, NJ, but I swear every person I meet at Penn State, including all of my roommates are from New Jersey.
    What made me choose this post was your title. I don’t know what this says about me, but my mind immediately went to American Pie- “This one time at band camp..” I have seen that movie far too many times. I don’t really know how critical we are supposed to get since this is our initial blog post where we write about ourselves and the mostly universal disdain for science but excitement for this course. I thought you post was adorable. My only criticism is that the picture of the chocolate cake made me way too hungry for chocolate cake. Here’s a recipe for vegan pancakes just because they’re amazing.

2. amk6274

Hi Nicole, I’m from Toms River, NJ too! I think thats really cool that out of 40,000 students I’m meeting someone in Sc200 from my town. I hated calculus as well, but I do like math. I think you should check out
    this cake because it is one of my favorites.