Science: Cool but Complex

Hi, my name is Mairead and I am a freshman from Bucks County, Pennsylvania. Currently, I am in the Division of Undergraduate Studies but I hope to transfer into the Smeal School of Business.

I decided to take this course for two reasons. The first being that this course fulfills part of the general education science requirement. The second, and most important reason, is that I think that this course will be able to teach me more about science without getting into complicated specifics. As a result of this, I think that this course will allow me to have a greater appreciation of science.

I am not planning on becoming a science major because I have never excelled in any science class I have taken. In addition, I have not found myself interested in any science class. With this being said, I have found myself to be interested in certain topics covered in science classes such as astronomy. For example, I love reading articles like this. It is so cool to read about space since it is so large, complex, and mostly unknown.space-1

3 thoughts on “Science: Cool but Complex

1. Akhil Dharmavaram

Hey Mairead, my name is Akhil. I definitely understand how you feel about learning science. My reason for taking SC200 is very similar to yours. I really like science but just not enough to major in. It is very interesting to learn about different things across many scientific fields but once it gets into the “complicated specifics” as you said, I start to lose interest.

Just like you, I have a passion for astronomy as well. It’s crazy to me how large the universe is past the Earth. I am currently enrolled in ASTRO 130: Black Holes in the Universe. So far, it’s an interesting class and you might enjoy it.

I read the article you posted and enjoyed the read, thanks for sharing. You might enjoy this one: http://www.cnn.com/2016/08/24/health/proxima-b-centauri-rocky-planet-habitable-zone-neighbor-star/

2. Sarah Kunze

Hi Mairead!
    I’m also from PA, and I also agree that science is cool but can get really complex and hard to understand at times. I never liked my science classes in high school, and the more I took them, the more opposed I became. Astronomy, like you said, is a really cool aspect of science, and can be interpreted as difficult as one chooses. I feel that I can only enjoy science when I CHOOSE if I want to. I’m sure you’ve heard of the new planet. Which I think is amazing. Give it a read!

(sorry the link didn’t work before)

http://earthsky.org/space/next-nearest-star-has-a-planet

3. Sarah Kunze

Hi Mairead!
    I’m also from PA, and I also agree that science is cool but can get really complex and hard to understand at times. I never liked my science classes in high school, and the more I took them, the more opposed I became. Astronomy, like you said, is a really cool aspect of science, and can be interpreted as difficult as one chooses. I feel that I can only enjoy science when I CHOOSE if I want to. I’m sure you’ve heard of . Which I think is amazing. Give it a read!