Science is fascinating …but too hard to major in

Hello everyone,

My name is Akhil Dharmavaram. I am a Junior and I am studying Information Sciences and Technology. The reason I am taking this course is because my friend was a TA for SC 200 and told me that it is a relatively easy class and the material covered is very interesting. He also told me that Andrew Read is a fantastic professor and will make sure you learn something in the class. As I looked further into SC200, the class seemed to be fairly straightforward and “bland”. However, my opinion changed when I saw the class schedule on the first day. Reading topics such as “How do physicians kill people?” and “Are animals gay?” really peaked my interest.

Ever since I was little, I have always enjoyed science. I was fascinated by all forms of science and was especially interested in astronomy. I enjoy learning about different fields of science and try to stay up to date with any of the latest news in the scientific community. This interest, however, only goes so far for me. As much as i enjoy learning science and how things work, the level of patience and creativity required to thoroughly ask questions and investigate the smallest details about things makes it difficult to study science as a major. This being said, the content learned while being an IST major is somewhat similar conceptually to another science major (not content itself, but the way to approach problems).

Image result for psu ist building

Link to photo: http://www.econinfosec.org/archive/weis2014/venue.php

3 thoughts on “Science is fascinating …but too hard to major in

1. Hannah Margaret Mears

Hello Akhil,

I really enjoyed reading your bio about why you are not majoring in science because it is very similar to how I feel about the topic itself. I loved science when I was younger, but I just could not get myself to really work at it and want to major in it. I also found the questions on the syllabus interesting that you did, too. I would love to hear more feedback next time about why those two particular questions spiked your interest. Here is a link about Assisted Suicide that you might consider taking a look at. LINK

Best,
    Hannah Mears

2. mld5569

Hey Akhil, My name is Mallory and I plan on majoring in Security and Risk Analysis! I feel the same way you do about science, it’s interesting and I enjoy learning about the different types of science, but they could never keep my interest for long. I’m really excited for this class because I think it could really help improve my critical thinking skills for my future in SRA. I found this really cool video about a group of scientists who lived in a pod for a year while they were pretending they were on Mars. I think its a really cool video that relates astronomy to technology. https://www.wired.com/video/2016/08/six-scientists-lived-in-a-tiny-pod-for-a-year-pretending-they-were-on-mars/

3. Hannah Margaret Mears

Hello Akhil,

I really enjoyed reading your bio about why you are not majoring in science because it is very similar to how I feel about the topic itself. I loved science when I was younger, but I just could not get myself to really work at it and want to major in it. I also found the questions on the syllabus interesting that you did, too. I would love to hear more feedback next time about why those two particular questions spiked your interest.

Best,

Hannah Mears