Science is sometimes cool

Hi, my name is Matt Hogan and I am currently a freshman here at Penn State. I am from Long Island, NY and am currently in the Division of Undergraduate Studies but plan to eventually transfer into Smeal where I will most likely major in accounting.

I am mainly taking this class because it fulfills one of my general education science requirements. However, it was also recommended to me by my advisor who said it was a great class. I was not the biggest fan of science in high school, but there were some things that I found interesting. Chemistry and physics were two classes that I didn’t do very well in and I did not find fun at all, however I took an environmental science class which I thought was very interesting for the most part. In chemistry and physics I did not like the equations and memorization, I wasn’t good at it and thought it was extremely boring. In my environmental class we were learning about things that were more pertinent in my life because it focused a lot on current problems that we need solutions to now. For example, we discussed resource depletion which I always find to be an interesting topic because soon we will run out of things like fossil fuels and will need a new way to sustain our energy usage. Renewable seems to be a way that we can do this, but we just need to be able to produce enough of it to keep up with the large demand which grows everyday with the growing population.

Image result for oil pun

I am looking forward to this class because it is not formulas and memorizing, but instead questioning things in the universe and trying to find out why things are the way they are. I love this kind of science because there are so many questions I wonder about such as is there life on other planets? Or how was the universe first created? Many of the questions don’t have answers right now and some may never have one, but that is what makes them interesting. Ultimately, I am excited for SC200 because we will get to discuss questions that I want the answers to and that I am interested in.