Big Bang Baloney?

In the beginning week of Science in our World, we discussed topics ranging from worms to stardust. Overall, I’ve come to realize that science has lots, (like millions times millions) of questions but not a lot of certain answers. Although I would like to believe that everything in the universe came magically from two stars colliding together, I always found it interesting how quickly people were able to accept this idea.

Think about it, from elementary to high school, our science teachers explanation as to the birth of the universe came from the allusive term, the “Big Bang”. For the most part, we all accepted it. But no one ever explained it down to the nitty gritty for us. It almost felt as accepted as the idea that “the sky is blue”. But, I’ve always wondered, what is the Big Bang? A main question I had was where did the two forces that collided to form the big bang originate from?  In this blog, I want to dive further into the reasoning and evidence as to why the Big Bang is such a popular theory.

Screen Shot 2016-09-05 at 3.05.15 PM

Reading an extensive article from the “National School’s Observatory” based out of the U.K, I found that there is multiple evidence supporting the theory behind the Big Bang. One involves the redshifts of other galaxies. Unknown at the time to me, redshift refers to the idea that galaxies give off light, and depending on the distance. The further away a galaxy, the more red it may appear on the spectrum. Here is the link showing the difference between un-shifted and redshifted spectrum. http://www.schoolsobservatory.org.uk/astro/cosmos/redshift This relates back to the Big Bang because distance galaxies that show red on the spectrum are continuously appearing to be shifting outwards. In theory, at some point, those far off galaxies were close together and, due to high density, eventually expanded. The high intensity of all that energy combined together must have caused a great eruption.

More evidence that points to the Big Bang is the idea of a “Microwave Background” and the “Mixture of Elements”. The microwave background is explained by the existing glow that surrounds the universe. This glow is seen in microwaves, and also contributes to new elements within our universe. After the alleged Big Bang, everything was in a stage of heating up and cooling down. To visualize this, I imagined trying to heat up a plate of food. Some things turning out just right and some others don’t, thus, the creation of new mixtures. You can’t use a microwave to cook a potato the same amount you need to heat up a cup of coffee. Similar to this, the distant stars in our galaxy hold different elements then in our modern day sun. They had more time to cook, process, and cool down. New stars and stars billions of years old are clearly different as well as the elements that exist upon them, showing that the Big Bang caused massive changes in the universe.

This animation video form “Kurzgesagt-In a Nutshell” is extremely helpful. What I found most troubling with the theory of the Big Bang was were the matter came that created the big bang. This quote from the video helped me understand.

“In this hot, dense environment, energy manifested itself in particles that existed only for the tiniest glimpses of time.From gluons, pairs of quarks were created, which destroyed one another, perhaps after giving off more gluons…Matter and energy were not just theoretically equivalent, it was so hot they were practically the same stuff. Somewhere around this time, matter won over antimatter.”

So, when the particles started to stretch out and out, they eventually had enough room to stabilize, thus the creation of “matter”. This video also addresses the problem that modern science can’t explain the beginning before the Big Bang, and that’s okay, because we are constantly exploring new possibilities.

I remember from class Andrew saying we “are an alignment of atoms from cosmic dust”.  WE ARE…literally part of the universe and very well could be sub particles of the Big Bang itself. 

No theory is ever going to be perfect as I have come to realize yes the Big Bang may sometimes sound iffy to me, but at the moment, it is the most soundproof evidence we have.

image

video-watch it!!!!

National School Observatory