Benefits of Singing

images

I’ve been singing in choir since I was in the second grade. As I got older it became one of my favorite things to do, and something that I now spend a lot of my time working at. I remember a conversation with one of my singing buddies about how great it feels to make music. We realized that not only did we feel mentally accomplished, we also felt happier and physically better as well. Apparently, we weren’t the only people to notice this change. There are hundreds of articles and research projects being centered around the almost euphoric feeling that singing (particularly in a group setting such as a choir) can bring you.

For example, an article by Suzy S. from the takelessons blog goes into detail about physical, mental, emotional, and social benefits that come from singing. She describes a study by the University of Frankfurt that actually tested singers’ blood before and after singing Mozart’s “Requiem”. They found higher levels of proteins and concluded that singing can help the immune system. I especially loved this piece of information because Mozart’s “Requiem” was one of my all time favorites to perform. Suzy also mentions that singing can strengthen your diaphragm (breath control is super important for a singer), improve posture, and even help with sleep.

Singing also produces endorphins and all other kinds of happy chemicals in the brain that can improve your mood. An article from how stuff works science by Julia Layton describes an Australian study where it was found that choral singers were happier in their lives than the rest of the population. Did you know that the Alzheimer’s Society even recommends singing for patients with Alzheimer’s and dementia? Suzy S. has a link to their website on her blog. Singing acts as a mental exercise that can improve memory and overall functioning. Reading music takes training just like science or math. It makes sense that it would work your brain like a math puzzle.

here is a cool picture from Pinterest that shows some other benefits of singing.

All of the reasons described above can also apply to solo performances (yes, even in the shower). However, one benefit that can come out of choral singing in particular is socialization. Obviously the more scientific advantages to singing are so important, but singing can help with more than your brain chemicals. When I started out as a singer, I could barely perform even when I was among the choir. It took a lot of practice, but singing with a group provided me with more confidence, and I was eventually able to do solo performances. Singing has helped me in a lot of areas in my life, not to mention its fun!

Spongebob image found here.

Great info from Suzy S. here.

How stuff works science article here.

4 thoughts on “Benefits of Singing

1. Victor William Gregory

I loved this post. Over the years, singing and music in general has been one of my core activities to express myself. I have found that it helped me overcome one of my biggest fears. Public Speaking. The power that music has over a person is tremendous. I wish more people knew how to read music because in my opinion, its one language that unites every nation. Music has helped so many people with stress, but also with anxiety, depression. and overall self expression. It goes above and beyond being art, as it causes human beings to feel and express emotion and passion. Attached is a link to an article about how music can be used to treat pain and reduce stress. http://www.apa.org/monitor/2013/11/music.aspx

2. Olivia Anne Browne

Great post! I posted earlier about exercising reliving stress and some other ways to relieve it and I didn’t come across singing. I looked a lot into listening to music but now that I think about it, singing makes more sense. This was very interesting! I have played the piano since I was 8 and always play it when I’m in a bad mood or just need some alone time and now I see why it made me feel the way I did! Its an awesome way to express yourself. I might not have the best voice but I am SO happy to sing.. all the time ( ask my roomate). Anyways check out this article about music in the brain!
    http://news.mit.edu/2015/neural-population-music-brain-1216

3. Margaret Marchok

Music is definitely an awesome way to relieve stress. I only did choir for one year in 6th grade, but my love of music has been with me throughout all of my years. I felt as though your experience with singing music is how I feel when I listen to music. There is no denying that music can make you feel better even on your worst day. There is nothing like the chills you get when you hear someone absolutely nail the perfect note from a song. I loved the Pinterest link you included too. All of those pictures were very interesting. Aside from the way music makes you feel, did you know that music can also help you remember things? This article does a great job of explaining that- http://anniemurphypaul.com/2013/09/music-can-help-you-remember/. Enjoy!