Link

Ever since I was around eight years old I always had an interest in fashion and what is in/out. My favorite thing to do was and still is going shopping with my mom. Every saturday we would either go to the mall or boutiques in my home town.

Over the years trends change and what was in style last season might be completely out this season.  I often wonder how this can happen, who sets the trends, and why do some disappear so quickly. It also confuses me how somethings that were so “in” decades ago can magically just come back in 2016.  For example: Juicy Couture track suits were such a popular fad in the earlier 2000’s and over the years Juicy still existed but the popularity faded out. This was mainly because Liz Claiborne bought over Juicy and her stuff is sold in JC Penny’s, which is less expensive than where Juicy was originally sold. After a couple of years Juicy Couture was removed from high end department stores such as Bloomingdales, Nordstrom, and Neiman Marcus due to this. Now in 2016, they are making a come back and are now back in Bloomingdales for a similar price to what they used to be.  I have yet to see anyone wear one, but have no doubt that they will soon be as popular as ever this fall and winter.  Another interesting trend back in style are flare jeans. They were extremely popular before I was born in the late 1900’s, and are back in style and sold in almost any store containing jeans like American Eagle, Abercrombie, Bloomingdales, and much more. They are popular for going out with wedges, sandals, or even flip flops.

I am always curious as to how these trends find their way back and what makes something popular to wear. After reading this  article based on the science behind fashion, I realized it has a lot to do with strategizing. Algorithms are used to find patterns that may not have been used for a while to create a trend people will be interested in, for example: tie dye. Analyzing historical data and social media is crucial for planning the next seasons successful line of clothing. Another factor in the process is price. Price is major when deciding what fabrics to use, where to sell and whom will buy it. It is important that extremely expensive items are sold in stores that people who spend lots of money on clothes will look at. Also inexpensive clothes should be put in inexpensive stores to create a balance for the production process. If too much inexpensive clothes are put in high end stores then people will be more interested in that rather than the expensive goods. Merchandisers can also do something called statistical analysis on a product based on its size, color, and other factors written on the tag to see if it is a good seller or not.  It is difficult to create trends especially when people have so many different tastes such as preppy, or edgy, which is why there are so many stores to satisfy everyone and their fashion wants.bloomies

5 thoughts on “fashion trends

1. Stephanie Keyaka

I have always liked clothes, but not for the reasoning of being “hip” or “cool”, I just think that the way a person dresses, like what clothes they choose to wear and how they style themselves has a lot to do with who they are, their personalities and etc. So growing up I experimented with my style. Now I dress more, bohemian/hippy chic than anything else, I like to pair any and all outfits with a pair of booties. BUT most importantly I go for comfort more than anything. My favorite stores are those that appeal to me for the reasons described in this article (https://www.retaildoc.com/blog/how-to-attract-customers-and-increase-foot-traffic-to-store). I think things like window displays, convenience of aisles, and etc are just as important in the shopping experience as the actual clothes being bought.

2. Pengji Wei

Hi. I am also like fashions as you. I think because of my mom is graduated from a clothing design school, so when I was young, she always show me all kinds of clothing she designed. So when I grow up, I like to shopping so much just want to see all kinds of new cloth for the season. And personally, the clothing style I like is British style, because I think those style’s cloth are very formal and makes people feels very gentle and polite. But I think now there are more and more people likes fashion now, because I think in 21st century, people are more caring what are they wearing. And here is a link I found online about why more and more people like fashions so much.
    http://thestyleconfessions.com/2012/03/31/ten-reasons-to-love-fashion/

3. Zihan Wang

Like your interest, I also pay attention to fashion trend. I think some luxurious clothes’ websites are good place to realize what’s fashion. When I am shopping in street, I focuses on Givenchy, because I think Givenchy’s cloth is more suitable for teens. In the prior time, I can’t accept Givenchy’s pictures on cloth, normally with dog or church, because I think it has superficial meanings. But now, While I use a new vision to appreciate Givenchy’s design, I can feel energy, and passion rather than other brands. I think different age people ought to wear different style clothes. I don’t think it’s appropriate for middle age people to wear t-shirt with animal on it. Fashion is not for all of people with different ages, and wearing style that consort with you is the really fashion.
    Here is a link to appreciate fashion.
    https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=givenchy+youtube&view=detail&mid=590AEAA04F29E260EA25590AEAA04F29E260EA25&FORM=VIRE

4. Stephanie Keyaka

5. dms6519

I also am very interested in Fashion but not as deep as you because i do not change my taste of fashion as fast as you. It is interesting to see that strategy is such a big part of fashion, especially about historical data. In a way, it does indeed make sense but it is still fascinating that we can predict which trend is going to be successful. This article reminds me of the book called “The tipping point” by Malcolm Gladwell where he talks about how small things can lead to big differences. He also highlighted a lot about trends. It is not fully about fashion but if you are interested in historical data analysis then you might want to check this book out. Here is the link talking about this book;

https://www.nytimes.com/books/00/03/05/reviews/000305.05wolfet.html