Addicted to Your Phone?

400268-iphone-6s

My major is RPTM, recreation parks tourism management, and in one of my classes the other day my professor shared a video with us. The main purpose of sharing this video to my class was to demonstrate how different chemicals in our body can make you a better leader. As I was watching the video the speaker was explaining how someone can literally be addicted to physical objects, specifically their cell phone. He mentioned points like if you have to hold your phone as you walk from room to room in your own apartment, you are probably addicted. As he was mentioning examples explaining how a person could be addicted to their phone I sadly realized qualified for a few.

So is it true? Can a person be addicted to their phone? The answer is yes, and more of us are than we even realize! Addiction can be classified as disease that takes over your brain along with a person’s ability to make rational decisions regarding what ever they may be addicted to. Here is a study done by CNN that showed people can truly be addicted to their phone and not even know it. The article explained many scenarios where a person shows traits of addiction, and reading them they sound ridiculous, but most of them I am embarrassingly guilty of. I encourage you to check out the article and see if you fall under any of the categories as well, it can be very eye opening! The main way to scope out if someone is actually addicted to the their phone is to see if they go through any type of withdrawal when they do not have the device in their presence.

Most people would deny the fact they are addicted to their cell phone because in a way it sounds pathetic, but I’ll admit that I am. I even find that being able to to do simple activities is very hard because of my cell phone. For example, as I am writing this blog post I even feel the need to check my phone for no actual important reason. Even if I have not received a text or phone call there is always something else to check, like social media. Every time I open my phone I feel the need to scroll through twitter, just so I don’t miss out on anything. I found a Life Hack website that also acknowledges that people can be addicted to their cell phone and proposed techniques through five simple steps to beat the addiction. 

Cell phone addicts are also known to act very reckless and partake in situations such as texting while driving. As we all know texting and driving is VERY bad, yet we still continue to do it. I try my best to not use my phone while driving, even though sometimes I do, but here is video to help persuade you even more to never use your phone while behind the wheel of a vehicle. Saying you are addicted to your phone will never be a valid argument or excuse to get away with serious matters like texting and driving or many other scenarios!

college-students-face-cellphone-addiction

After reading up on being addicted to cellphones, I think it is easy to say that we all need a digital detox. It is nothing to be ashamed of if you are addicted to your cell phones since most young people are now a days. Time away from cell phones and technology will only help us in the long run. As mentioned above it will be easier to do simple everyday tasks like studying and more serious tasks like driving. Take the first step today and start attempting to control how much you use your phone for a more focused and productive life!

• Wallace, Kelly. “10 Signs You Might Be Addicted to Your Smartphone.” CNN. Cable News Network, 25 Nov. 2014. Web. 11 Sept. 2016.
  • 99Uvideos. “Simon Sinek: Why Leaders Eat Last.” YouTube. YouTube, 04 Dec. 2013. Web. 11 Sept. 2016.
  • “SoFlo – Timeline | Facebook.” SoFlo – Timeline | Facebook. N.p., n.d. Web. 11 Sept. 2016.
  • “Addiction.” Brainfacts. N.p., n.d. Web <http://www.brainfacts.org/diseasesdisorders/addiction/>.
  • IMAGE1
  • IMAGE2

2 thoughts on “Addicted to Your Phone?

1. William Joseph Robbins-cole

I also have to admit that I am addicted to my phone. Last year I took a tech-free challenge with my English class where we locked all of our electronics in our teacher’s classroom for 48 hours. That experience was probably the most freeing and wonderful experience of last year. My friends and I actually really talked, I got to bed early, and I even read a book. Even though I loved my experience without my phone when I got it back the call of snapchat stories and the vibrations of my phone sucked me right back in. here is a website that talks about the experience of the tech free challenge. https://withoutmedia.wordpress.com/study-conclusions/benefits/

2. Lauren Elizabeth Jardine

As someone who briefly had a smart phone but has since returned to the basic filp phone I got to see how quicly a phone can begin to consume your life. I think because I watched my friends be so attached to their iphones before I got one I never let myself become so addicted but I could see how suddenly I was turning to my phone in awkward silences or just out of bordem. Having a flip phone lets me focus on more important things than instagram and reddit and realize how often I’m the only one not on my phone. While I don’t necessarily agree with this article I do see some of their points. http://www.bbc.com/capital/story/20160419-should-you-dump-your-smartphone-for-a-flip-phone