Science vs. Religion

I have always been strong in my faith and have always questioned, how does one believe in both creationism and evolution? Some say that you must choose between the two and believe in science or religion and not both, but that is not true.

rf_detail_342_0

Bible literalists say that the earth is less than 10,000 years old and was created in 6 days. They also reject evolution because they insist man was created by God on the 6th day (rested on the 7th). Many religions though see science and religion as compatible. In fact, there are scientists who are Christians and find that with more they discover, the more they are in awe of their creator. Some of these famous scientists in history even considered themselves Christians. It is crazy to consider why an all-powerful God would allow these same men to unlock the secrets of the universe and permit them to make astounding discoveries in their fields. However unlike scientists, religions do not need proof or specific explanations because they have their faith, which is all they need. In the 15th century, Copernicium found that the earth revolved around the sun, which was not the conventional belief at the time. His finding went in direct conflict with the Roman Catholic church which supported the idea that the earth was the center with everything revolving around it. Religions based these beliefs of those of the Bible. Psalm 104:5 reads “The Lord set the earth on its foundation; it can never be moved.” And Ecclesiastes 1:5, “And the sun rises and sets and returns to its place.” Both of these Bible verses supported the Roman Catholic church’s beliefs. The church eventually changed the stance championed by the science community.

There will always be debate surrounding religion and science, however it is pointless to argue. People can choose what they believe in and can easily believe in both. Many scientists even express belief in a God or Supernatural force. As a believer, one can always go back to the creator who started the whole process from some beginning point. I believe that there had to be a beginning and my faith tells me that God was there before anything was. I think that it is very possible to believe in both evolution and creationism.

debate_144931_top

http://humanorigins.si.edu/about/broader-social-impacts-committee/science-religion-evolution-and-creationism-primer