Stress? No thanks!

College is known for being the best four years of your life. The place where you will meet your lifelong friends, possibly even your spouse, and where you will truly become your pure self. What isn’t talked about nearly as often is the abundance amount of pressure and stress that comes along with attending a university. Almost any student at the prestigious Pennsylvania State University can vouch that it is not all fun and games. Those 3 a.m. cram sessions in the library, nearly overdosing on caffeine and 5 hour energies, and having so much work you don’t even know where to begin are constant themes throughout the four years spent at college.

I decided to look into easy and efficient ways to reduce the amount of stress that a typical student encounters. I was able to find 23 scientifically-backed ways to reduce stress right now.. A constant method of relaxation had to do with relaxing the mind and body. This varies from progressive relaxation, which targets all the muscles throughout your body, to deep breathing, which helps the brain by increasing the oxygen flow throughout your body as well as distracting your mind long enough to decrease your stress level. There are also specific scents that have been proven to lower anxiety altitudes. Lavender is the most common scent associated with aromatherapy that is proven to relieve stress. Another excellent and well known way to reduce stress is to exercise. Working out releases endorphins and endorphins are a superb way to diminish stress.

elle

An interesting technique that definitely is not talked about much is kissing and/or having sex. When someone is stressed their blood pressure tends to rise, however it has been shown that sex can lower one’s blood pressure resulting in a decrease of stress levels. Cortisol comes into play once again because while kissing, the brain discharges numerous chemicals including cortisol. Another method that I found surprising was that being religious can help aid you in decreasing your stress levels. In a study it was shown that people who practice their religion more intensely were less stressed as opposed to those who didn’t. Personally I think this is the case because people who are more religious have more faith in god and fate and believe that everything will work out the way it is supposed to. In other words, there is no need to stress and worry about the potential outcome of a situation because the result is out of our hands. Lastly, one of the easiest methods to implement would definitely be to just go out for a walk. This relates back to the exercise theory, but once again physical activity releases endorphins which can reduce stress. Also, going for a walk outside exposes you to a different environment which allows you to clear your mind and breath in fresh air which can reduce stress levels. Through this research I have found multiple techniques that will help me reduce my stress levels, and I encourage you all to do the same.

Source: http://greatist.com/happiness/23-scientifically-backed-ways-reduce-stress-right-now

7 thoughts on “Stress? No thanks!

1. Amanda Grace Thieu

Stress is my middle name most of the time. I have severe anxiety and it’s difficult for me to relax. What tends to help me relax is watching a funny show like Family Guy or Spongebob or sketching while listening to acoustic music. Naps are my go to when I’m so stressed out and I get too overwhelmed and don’t know what to do. So I totally understand where you’re coming from. Thank you for the tips! I’ve always noticed myself being distracted when watching cartoons. It keeps my mind off of what I’m stressed about.

2. Taylor M Lender

I love your topic, especially for this time of the school year when work, test, and papers all start to pile up! Personally, I love the smell of lavender myself, and I use it in a homemade body scrub. When I was checking out the live link,, I was surprised about the length of the list. I am still curious about how these relaxation tips were scientifically proven. Did you happen to find any articles that included the research methods? I always have wondered why the scent of my lavender essential oil makes me feel relaxed and happy…
    -Taylor L.

3. Celine Degachi

I liked this post because of its relevance to our lives as college students. It is nice to know ways that I can reduce my stress in case it ever gets to bad, which it usually does. I was also really pleased to find out that naps can reduce your stress because in that case I must frequently be reducing my stress. Since you highlighted ways to reduce stress, I thought about people that might actually be dealing with stress the wrong way. Upon this thought I researched and came across this link. Here there’s a section in which unhealthy ways of dealing with stress are listed. I think it’s just as important to know when you’re dealing with your stress the wrong way.

4. Cassandra N Kearns

Personally, I am very easily stressed out, and I generally take a lot of naps to combat the stress. This creates a snowball effect because I then don’t have enough time to complete my work, which stresses me out more. I am eager to try some new ideas, such as going for a walk around the block instead of taking an hour long nap.

5. rvm5523

These are methods that I have used and they pretty much work as good as you ca hope. College is extremely stressful as I have learned so far and I hope to continue to use these methods and find others. Thanks for the post.

6. rbl5123

I’m easily stressed out, so I’m excited to try some of these and see if they work. I’ve tried a lot and I haven’t found anything I want to stick with yet!