Concussions in Soccer

Recently, I have been hearing a lot of talk about young soccer players getting a growing number of concussions. I have also heard about many concussions going unreported in this sport due to the player valuing playing more than their health. This topic is very near to my heart because I played soccer from age 4 to age 18. After hearing all these statements, I thought back to my many years of playing soccer. I wondered if I had some slight concussions as a child but didn’t do anything about it. I also thought back to my documented concussion. Thinking about these things made me wonder if the game of soccer was more dangerous than many people think.

Image result for heading soccer ball

Many people have suggested taking “heading” out of the sport when you are young. Some think that repeatedly heading the ball is detrimental to the brain and can cause concussions if it is not done properly. Knowing how to properly head the ball is very important, but even without knowing, the action does not cause concussions. The ball normally is not traveling fast enough to generate enough impact to cause the concussion. Young kids especially can not kick the ball hard enough for it to cause a concussion to another player. It is even difficult for a professional player to generate enough force to cause a concussion from kicking the ball (this study gives more information about the topic).

As I mentioned previously, the number of concussions in soccer is growing. Although I am not surprised by this fact, I was a little bit worried for the younger players growing up. Many people have opinions on how to reduce the number of concussions. I personally believe the easiest way to avoid a concussion is to protect yourself. Know when the situation is going to get physical. Know your surroundings so you don’t bump heads with another player. Little things like this will increase the players chances of avoiding a concussion. The first half of this study shows the statistics of the growing rate of concussions in soccer. The second half describes many people’s feeling of how to make the game safer. I love everything about the sport, but it would not be a bad idea to get ahead and start preventing concussions now before it gets out of control.

Sources:  https://www.nap.edu/read/10362/chapter/3

http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/14/health/youth-soccer-safety/

9 thoughts on “Concussions in Soccer

1. Summer A Carson

I do not play soccer, but I do play field hockey and just like any sport we all have to worry about concussions. Concussions is a very serious matter that should never be taken lightly becuase brain damage is lethal to a normal lifestyle. As I was reading you blog I noticed that you mentioned that it has been proposed that they take out “heading” becuase it is seen as dangerous in the concussion aspect. Soccer is not the only sport questioning some of their rules, regulations and equipment regarding concussions. When I was a freshman in college I took the class Information Systems Management and did a project on technology in sports. NCAA football within the past years had completely revamped there helmets in hopes or lowering the concussions rates of their student athletes. This is just one example of another sport, like soccer that is trying to make the atmosphere more safe and save our brains. Here is the article that talks about the safer and improved football helmets: http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2014/3/28/5547618/riddell-speedflex-helmets-insite-technology …this article is a great read if you are interested in concussions related to sports!

2. Candace Burke

I am not a soccer player, but I have always wondered about this topic. I see people hitting the ball with their heads without even flinching. I never thought about how that could affect their brain or cause concussions. I was wondering if in your research if concussions can be avoided depending on how your head hits the ball.

3. Melissa Lee

I can greatly relate to this post. I played soccer competitively for 10 years. I am thankful to have never received a concussion but many of my teammates have received multiple. According to NY times in 2010 50,000 high school soccer players suffered concussions. I feel as if concussions greatly impact the game. It causes players to become scared to head the ball in fear that they might receive a concussion. According to this article http://www.today.com/parents/no-more-heading-us-soccer-out-new-guidelines-youth-soccer-t54971 US soccer has baned heading in the youth soccer stages. Some people look at this as an advantage so kids become skillful at the game with the ball at their feet. Not only are concussions in the sport of soccer increasing but they are increasing in many other sports like football. Have you ever seen the movie Concussion staring Will Smith ? I think it does a great job to increase awareness about football related head trauma.

4. Melissa Lee

I can greatly relate to this post. I played soccer competitively for 10 years. I am thankful to have never received a concussion but many of my teammates have received multiple. According to NY times in 2010 50,000 high school soccer players suffered concussions. I feel as if concussions greatly impact the game. It causes players to become scared to head the ball in fear that they might receive a concussion. According to this article http://www.today.com/parents/no-more-heading-us-soccer-out-new-guidelines-youth-soccer-t54971 US soccer has been heading in the youth soccer stages. Some people look at this as an advantage so kids become skillful at the game with the ball at their feet. Not only are concussions in the sport of soccer increasing but they are increasing in many other sports like football. Have you ever seen the movie Concussion staring Will Smith ? I think it does a great job to increase awareness about football related head trauma.

5. Justine Gaines

I clicked on your article because I was a very competitive track and soccer athlete in high school. I had gotten a concussion while not playing the sport and decided not to report it since I did not want to have to sit out at the next few practices or games/meets and be held back from my concussion. I now know that that was a horrible thing for me to do and could be so detrimental to my health. I believe that we should take “heading” out of soccer because it really does not have much of a logical purpose when thinking of it from a health perspective. Sometimes, a player can head the ball the wrong way and it can give them a concussion, especially when it hits their head very hard. Nowadays I am hearing all about concussions and I feel that we should really start to become more aware of how dangerous they can be and try to prevent them in all sports, including soccer.

6. Zachary Weissman

Though I never played soccer as a kid, I also noticed concussions growing in the sport. One of my good friends in high school was a big time soccer goalie, and after many concussions had to wear a headgear while playing.

7. Hugo Almeida

I have played competitive soccer all my life and have had my fair share of head bumps along the way. I can personally relate and agree with the idea that players sustain head trauma and continue to play through it. As the years go on I’m definietly seeing more and more concussion prevention technology on the soccer pitch. Here’s a cool article that discusses a soccer headband (whether it works or not) worn by the Womens National Team defender, Ali Krieger.
    http://www.denverpost.com/2015/06/29/u-s-soccers-ali-krieger-wears-a-concussion-headband-but-do-they-work/

8. Devon Buono

I have bee playing soccer since I was 5 years old. I never had a any problems luckily. I have question though about the information you have. Could it be possible that these concussions are due to head to head contact between players? You mentioned that the ball more likely than not can not be fast enough to concuss a player. Check out this article on concussions http://www.webmd.com/brain/tc/traumatic-brain-injury-concussion-overview#1. It explains how they happen, and how to prevent them.

9. nam5542

This can be seen as a both ways kind of topic, or at least I can see it that way. While yes, using your head is allowed, however a little bit of common sense should be applied. But i can say that concussions in sports in general have become a major issue recently.