effects of music on children

Ever since I was little I loved to dance. I danced to anything and everything, I still do. My favorite past time was when my parents would play music and I could dance around the house. I have been exposed to so many different types of music since a very young age. As I have grown up my love for music never wavered, and this really got me thinking: has my subjection to music since the womb affected me as a person?

During my research I discovered just what I thought, music is very beneficial in child development. Music is what brings our world together and I believe children at every age should experience the joy of music. Music is apparent in every aspect of life and there is a definite reason for that. Music has many benefits for people of all ages but specifically children. Bright Horizons states, “Exposing children to music during early development helps them learn the sounds and meanings of words. Dancing to music helps children build motor skills while allowing them to practice self-expression. For children and adults, music helps strengthen memory skills.” Music can bring joy to a child’s life and could possibly help pose as memories for when they are older. When we are younger most of our preschool classes revolve around music and that is due to it’s ability to help as learn and develop. I truly believe that music is our language before we even learn how to speak. Music can even enhance children’s motor skills and coordination. It could even lower stress levels, which even children have too. Studies show that playing music while pregnant can benefit your even before they are born. It may seem ineffective but it really does pay off in the long run. I can attest from personal experience that there is a song I have always randomly loved and I later found out my mom used to always play it when she was pregnant with me, crazy how the brain works huh? Music is all around us and while it majorly serves as a form of entertainment it could alter a human’s lifestyle and the way they live. Children exposed to music could possibly end up more happy and healthy than the rest of us.

unknown-1

Link to photo

2 thoughts on “effects of music on children

1. Jarrod T Skole

I tend to listen to music whenever I want to clear my mind. It helps me forget about anything that is going on and just concentrate on the music. I have always heard that if you play classical music to your unborn child that it helps with their development, but does any other music work just as well. Heavy metal might be a little to loud and screechy for a fetus, but maybe some soothing country could calm a baby down when it is kicking in the womb. What would be a really cool study would be if a parent played a single song to their unborn child for months before they were born, they see how their brain would react when they were out of the womb and heard the song.

2. Griffin Lambert Brooks

Great post. Personally I listen to music all day anytime of the day. I feel that listening to music helps you concentrate and “get in your zone”. I took a psychology class my senior year of high school and we did learn that when young kids listen to music it develops their motor skills at an increasing rate. I feel that when children listen to music it is good for them because usually when they are young they only hear their parents or close family talk. Listening to music lets you hear different voices and sounds that young children might not be used to. I think that when children are young, the worst thing to do to them is talk in the stero-typical baby voice that some parents do. When children are young letting them listen to music and having them hear other voices other than close family is the best thing we can do for them.