We Love Our Pets But Is It Vice Versa?

Do our pets love us as much as we love them?

A very huge population of the world are pet lovers. Many people view their pet(s) as apart of their families. We love them, but do they love us? It is evident they recognize their “family” but are they actually emotionally capable of feeling love? Are we just caregivers, or do our pets recognize the bond is there?

This interesting article explores the answers to the posed question. In fact, our pets do not understand love as we do, but certainly show us signs that the feeling is mutual. Pets, specifically cats and dogs show their owners their fondness of them in various ways. They may be hard to read, but once it is recognized, an owner can be reassured that their pet in fact does “love” them, even if it’s in their own way. Although it’s very interesting to wonder what goes on in the minds of our pets, scientifically there is no real, accurate way of finding out.

It becomes even more interesting when the idea is compared to humans. We as humans can simply tell a person “I love you”, but that doesn’t always make it genuine. Actions speak louder than words, but that still does not scientifically prove that a person is feeling this said emotion. Which we can compare to the love of pets. Things they may do, like rubbing their heads against you or following you can show signs of affection, but do they understand it as we do? Is this all genuine love or something else? The whole idea of love is a very controversial topic. For some who may not believe in the idea of love, you’ll find this article fairly interesting. This brings another question; does love even exist? If it doesn’t exist to humans how could it possible exist to animals? Are we so obsessed with the idea of love that we seem to get a little carried away?

Many people debate this, especially with the saying “Dog’s a man’s best friend”. This is a famous saying that could also prove a “love” relationship between human and animal. It seems that people often rely on their pets for support and love that others rely on people for.

Is this not love?

Is this not love?

Above is an excellent example of why people believe that there is a genuine love received from our pets. The man is homeless, which means he can barely feed the dog, and the dog is still by his side; starving with him. Instead of leaving his owner and finding food or a new home, the dog has decided to stick by his side. This could certainly scream some type pf emotion the dog has felt to make this decision. Sticking by his owner could even foreshadow that he indeed loves him and values their relationship. So in this case do our pets love us? Or do they know no better?

I feel as though our pets definitely do not look at us as servants, they definitely can sense a companionship. However, it is very hard to prove that our pets actually feel the emotion of “love”, keeping in mind that we do not know what they can understand and comprehend as non-humans. We love our pets so much that we believe that they love us back. But how will we really know? Or will we just sweep it under the rug and pretend they actually do?

3 thoughts on “We Love Our Pets But Is It Vice Versa?

1. Zachary Weissman

When I scrolled by the title of your article I thought that was a great question. Having a dog, I always wondered if he enjoyed living at my house. You mentioned a dog that never left a homeless man’s side, here’s an article about a dog who somehow found and never leaves his owner’s grave.

2. nam5542

Could it also be that a animal can understand the concept that their chance of survival is greater as long as they are with a human. I have two pit bulls at home with my parents, both were adopted/rescued and I can understand the concept of animals showing love to their owners just as owners should love their animals.

3. mak6209

I have a French Bulldog named Rocco, whom I like to think can feel love. I went to a Catholic school that taught that there are 3 types of souls: vegetative, animal, and rational. These are the same 3 types of souls that Aristotle believed in. The animal soul says that animals are not capable of thought and that they are only capable of motion and sensation. If one were to believe in this, it means that animals can’t think. They can’t remember past events. Essentially, animals can only sense something and then follow their sense with motion. I honestly just choose not to follow this way of thinking because that means my dog can’t love me, and only shows interest in me because I provide him with food. Who wants to believe that?