Is Diet Soda Detrimental To Your Health?

Millions of Americans are facing health problems all over the country. The foods and drinks they are imbibing are impacting their overall well being immensely. One example of this is the consumption of diet soda. Most people are oblivious to what they are putting into their body while consuming this type of soft drink.

The ingredients found in diet soda are different from the ingredients found in regular soda. The ingredients found in regular Coke are composed of natural non synthesized sugars. For example, aspartame, Splenda, saccharin, and Nutrasweet are artificial sweeteners found in diet soft drinks. Consumers may think that artificial sweeteners are better for the body rather than pure sugar, but that’s not true. Here is a list of ingredients in a Diet Coke, which are similar to ingredients in all other diet sodas. Caramel color in diet soda is very harmful to the body. This color is obtained by melting corn with cane sugar. In this caramel coloring, there is 4-methylimidazol. Exposure to this toxin causes serious heath problems. An experimental study was performed by The National Toxicology Program, showing male and female mice that were exposed to 4-Methylimidazol for long durations of time were more likely to develop cancer of the lungs. Caramel color is the one similar ingredient that is found in both diet and regular Coke.

In another study conducted by Dr. Elinav of Weizmann Institute of Science’s Department  of Immunology, found that artificial sweeteners were the catalyst to glucose intolerance and metabolic disease. This was an experimental study performed on mice. One group of mice were given water with artificial sweeteners in it, and the other group of mice were given straight water. He was very thorough with the experiment, as he performed it a number of times with different sets of mice and different dosages of artificial sweeteners. The scientist looked deeper into the issue and found evidence that the problems could be cultivating in the gut microbiota (the place where our bacteria is stored in the digestive track). As the artificial sweeteners travel through the body’s system, they encounter many bacteria. Elinav took the microbiota from the mice who drank the artificially sweetened water, and put it in the mice who drank the clean water. These newly “infected” mice soon developed glucose intolerance as well. This proved that changes to the gut microbiota were responsible for metabolism alterations and an intolerance to glucose. Dr. Elinav then performed an experiment with artificial sweeteners on humans and found similar conclusions about the human microbiota. In conclusion to this study, he found that the majority of volunteers developed glucose intolerance.

A similar, but observational study, was performed, only now measuring diet soda and its correlation to metabolic syndrome and Type 2 Diabetes. Long story short, the correlation between consumption of diet soda and these two diseases were not in fact, due to causality. That did not mean that metabolic syndrome and type 2 diabetes were completely out of the picture when it came to consumption of diet soda. It all came down to the frequency in which a person drinks it. If diet soda is consumed everyday, then those people are more likely to develop metabolic syndrome and type 2 diabetes.

no-diet-soda image source

To make another point, if you ever see the word aspartame in the ingredients list, DON’T BUY THE PRODUCT. Aspartame is a synthetic sugar replacement. Metabolic acidosis is something that occurs when aspartame converts into formaldehyde, which is a preservative that dead bodies are retained in. Formaldehyde then turns into formic acid, a poison released by fire ants when they sting. All of these reactions take place once aspartame surmounts 86 degrees fahrenheit. So, if aspartame is an ingredient in diet soda, do you really want these chemical reactions happening inside your body?

Based on the conclusions of these studies, we can confirm that diet soda is deleterious to one’s health. The diet soft drink is a red flag indicating many health problems down the road for loyal consumers. There are proven studies that link certain health problems to consistent diet soda ingestion. People who enjoy diet soda should consider an alternative such as water, ice tea, or even regular soda. Diet soda is detrimental to your health, and consumption must be limited.

3 thoughts on “Is Diet Soda Detrimental To Your Health?

1. Molly Mccarthy Tompson

My mom was ADDICTED to Diet Coke for a couple of years. When she woke up in the morning, she sometimes had a headache until she cracked open a can of Diet Coke. I was the opposite, actually–drinking diet soda made me nauseous and actually gave me headaches. I started reading up on it, and told her that she should stop drinking it. According to Authority Nutrition there was a correlation between diet soda and a LOT of problems, including depression, diabetes, pre-term baby delivery, and more. While correlation does not equal causation, it is still interesting to see such strong correlations with diet soda and medical problems. I’m glad that my mother weaned herself off of Diet Coke.

2. Lydia A Chelli

The topic of diet soda has come up very often for me because my mom loves to drink Diet Coke and I used to always believe that Diet Coke was better than Coke. I did know that neither of them are good for you, since they are sodas, but I always assumed Diet Coke was the better choice. When I was a freshman in high school, my science teacher lead a discussion on this topic and talked about her hatred of soda, but if she had to choose one she would drink Coke. We then learned how unhealthy Coke is, and how much more unhealthy Diet Coke is. As you suggested, my mom switched to drinking water instead of soda this past summer, but will occasionally have a diet coke a couple times a week. On another note, when you mentioned the aspartame, I immediately looked down at the soda I am drinking right now to see if it contains it and it is on the ingredients label! I do not think the risks are too high for me since I do not drink much soda, but thanks for pointing that out. I will definitely look out for that ingredient labels on the soda I drink in the future.

3. Audra Wren Laskey

I have always been told not to drink anything that says diet on it. The reason for this, like you said, is that these diet drinks use fake sugars. These fake sugars turn your liver white and are detrimental to your health. I enjoyed seeing the examples you used as experiments to show that these fake sugars do effect your body. Since now a days everyone is straying away from sugar and looking for alternatives, we wonder if there are actually good alternatives. Here is a link explaining the nutrition of stevia, a new sugar alternative, debated to be a healthier option http://www.livestrong.com/article/531568-is-stevia-good-for-you/