Why You Might Be Experiencing a Weight Loss Plateau

At one point in time, almost everyone can attest to going on a diet. When I think of the word diet, the first word that comes to mind is hunger. This is because when I am on a diet, I always feel hungry. The only thing I am thinking is either “when is my next meal?” or “what am I going to consume at that next meal?”. It is safe to say that when it comes to diets, I am the worst at following them and generally steer clear of them because when I am on a diet, I feel as if my appetite actually increases.  

A general reason why people find difficulty following diets is because at a certain point, they reach a plateau in which they no longer losing weight, which can be discouraging. One type of person who is likely to fit under this category of people who must follow diets are people who develop Type 2 Diabetes. With this being said, it is not only overweight people who are likely to develop Type 2 Diabetes as it is a genetic disease too, but it is a fact that a large portion of people with this type of diabetes are generally overweight.

For those unfamiliar with Type 2 Diabetes, here is a visual that can offer further assistance in understanding it:

type-2-diabetes

Image

As I talked about in the beginning, I know that when I go on a diet, I find myself craving more food than usual. Therefore, it is not surprising that the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases (NIDDK) actually performed an experimental study to determine whether there was a positive correlation between weight loss and an increase in appetite. To figure out whether or not this is a causal relationship the NIDDK performed a double-blind, placebo-controlled trial strictly with individuals who have Type 2 Diabetes. The decision to only have participants with Type 2 Diabetes assists in the results of this experimental study as it is a uniform type of person being studied and people with Type 2 Diabetes are generally overweight. In this year long trial, there were 242 participants, of which 153 received canagliflozin, a medication that is used to lower blood sugar levels for people diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes. The null hypothesis for this study is that there would be no difference in the weight between the individuals who received canagliflozin with those who did not. On the contrary, the alternative hypothesis was that the people who received canagliflozin would increase caloric intake, ultimately increasing the chance of experiencing a discouraging weight loss plateau.

This study proved the alternative hypothesis to be correct in that as people lost weight, their appetite continued to increase leading to a weight loss plateau. This plateau logically encourages people to discontinue diets and go back to unhealthy lifestyles. For those who need to stick by a diet and get over this weight loss plateau, it is wise to possibly join a weight loss program, such as Weight Watchers, to receive assistance from other people who are dealing with the same struggle. In addition, it is best keep a balanced diet filled with variety. All in all, this conclusion explains that it is not that I feel like my appetite is increasing when I go on a diet, as my appetite actually is increasing.