Does using Facebook make you smarter?

I spend more time then I’d like on Facebook. In the morning, while trying to get up out of bed, I’ll check Facebook. While waiting in any line, I’ll check Facebook. While I’m at home writing a blog post, I’ll check Facebook. I check Facebook a lot. I’d honestly like to use it less. I think it’s a waste of time. In the interest of science, I decided to check if it was actually a waste of time. As it turns out, it is actually beneficial.

The original face book.

I found a study from Elsevier titled “Social networking sites and cognitive abilities: Do they make you smarter?” At first with that title I assumed I’d find a study confirming our parent’s negative attitude towards millennials- that we are wasting our time on Facebook and should be doing our homework. But, the abstract confirmed that the opposite was true.

As it turns out, social networks not only increase levels of social connectedness (duh), but people who use them they tested higher in working memory, verbal ability, and spelling, but not math. At first I was surprised by these results. How could mindlessly scrolling through wedding pictures, vacation pictures, angry posts about Donald Trump, kindhearted statuses about people’s days, you get the idea… how could that seemingly useless task I use to pass the time, be helpful? I decided to look at the study through a fine toothed comb.

First, the researchers found a UK high school they felt was nationally representative- essentially they looked at test scores, to determine general intelligence, and free school meals- to control for socio-economic status. They selected 104 of these high school students (I assume in a random sample because it doesn’t say) between the ages of 12 and 18, and tested them. They were tested using various attainment tests (essentially like every test you took in high school) and an IQ test (which the study concluded was unaffected by Facebook use). The attainment tests tested verbal ability, working memory, learning outcomes, and a social connectedness scale. Afterwards, they were surveyed on their tech use, specifically on how long they used social media and YouTube.

The average UK high school.

This data was then used to answer three questions about social media use as it relates to cognitive ability and social connectedness. They compared the results of those who had been using Facebook longer and found they did better than those who had been using it for less than a year. They also compared frequency of specific Facebook activities to related scores on the various tests and found that no specific Facebook actions, like posting or chatting, had significant effect on test scores. It was using Facebook as a whole that contributed to the higher scores.

This study was full of data. At first, I was concerned by the number of people in the study. 104 is not a lot. I was also confused by the results because they seemed contrary to what made sense. But I thought about it. Some schools are not that big. The school they found may have been small, but nonetheless a good random and unbiased sample of UK school kids. I also considered the results. The results indicated there was no difference in IQ or math scores. Which makes sense. There is no math on Facebook and doing any simple activity is not going to affect your IQ. All that did increase were skills directly related to what you do on Facebook.

A typical user hard at work.

The paper itself admitted that a working memory activity was very similar to using Facebook. In a working memory activity, a participant has to process and manipulate information and use it to guide their next action. The same is true of Facebook. A user sifts through a lot of information and processes and manipulates it to decide whether to comment, continue reading, or move past it. Based on this, the fact that YouTube (which they essentially used as a control) had no real effect on anything, and the knowledge that overuse of Facebook eventually has a negative effect on GPA, I was satisfied with the study.

I am now happy to know that Facebook, while seemingly mindless, has a positive effect on those that use it. So, it is not a complete waste of time and in a way it does make people smarter. Moving forward, I wonder what the results of a larger study would be. Would Facebook still be seen as helpful? Furthermore, how would Facebook use compare to websites like Reddit or Tumblr? All I know is, it seems probable that every waste of time may have some benefit after all.

Sources: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Tracy_Alloway/publication/257171372_Social_networking_sites_and_cognitive_abilities_Do_they_make_you_smarter/links/545f91cf0cf27487b450a7ed.pdf

Photo Links: http://bespokebug.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Necronomicon-dead-skin-mask-book-cover-975×1204.jpg

http://az616578.vo.msecnd.net/files/2016/07/01/6360301337384476291643848570_hogwarts%20.jpg

http://i.huffpost.com/gen/1143446/images/o-FACEBOOK-USER-NUMBERS-facebook.jpg

4 thoughts on “Does using Facebook make you smarter?

1. Madeline Elizabeth Dittrich

Matthew, this blog post really grabbed my attention because is discusses something that is relevant to the majority of teens today: the use of social media. It’s great to know that I’m not the only one who thinks they use Facebook too much. i liked how you brought up how the study was only conducted with 104 people, because I thought that number was a little low as well. However, you were able to point out that the results were, in fact, accurate. I wonder how Facebook compares to other social media sites. Here’s an article I found that further discusses the impact of social media on teens: http://www.raisesmartkid.com/10-to-16-years-old/6-articles/43-facebook-myspace-twitter-good-or-bad-for-kids-brain .

1. Matthew J Overmoyer Post author

Yeah, I hinted a bit at the idea of comparing Facebook to similar sites at the end of my post. The article you linked to mentions a lot of negative effects of using social media sites as well. What I think would be interesting to see is if they could determine what aspects of sites like Facebook, Twitter, MySpace, Tumblr, and Reddit are beneficial to people, and what aspects are harmful. I think its obvious that using any of these sites too much, or as a substitute for social interaction could negatively effect developing social skills in kids. However, if used in conjunction with regular socializing, I wonder if the negative effects could be avoided and if the positive effects could be amplified.

2. Samuel Sae Jong Lee

Matthew,
    I love the question you asked in the title of the blog. I felt because it was both though-provoking and relevant that it made readers want to finish the rest of the article. I would argue that Facebook does not necessarily make you “smarter” but rather dives deeper into a person’s personality and priorities. By updating a Facebook account and maintaining a social media presence, this tells me that 1. You realize the opportunities that exist from keeping an up to date profile picture whether it be connecting with a friend you met and had a memorable conversation with and 2. Networking job opportunities that may arise from your presence on sites such as Linkedin. Whether that makes a person necessarily “smarter” is still up in the air for me but nonetheless I liked the blog.

-Sam Lee

1. Matthew J Overmoyer Post author

You bring up an interesting point with Linked In. I’d agree people that maintain active Linked In profiles are being very mindful of their future and taking advantage of every resource when networking. This is especially true when people are careful about what they share on Facebook (like not posting pictures of themselves drinking). The study I talked about focused on the affects of actively using Facebook, and how that could increase intelligence, and I think taking into account the intelligence of someone who is likely to use Facebook a lot is an important idea. Someone who is already intelligent, confident, and sociable will probably spend more time on Facebook than someone who is quiet, anti-social, and perhaps less intelligent. In essence, reverse causation is possible.