College can be hectic. There is so much to do and so little time. After accounting for classes, homework, studying there isn’t much free time left in the day. Throw in spending time with friends, sports teams, and clubs and there is even less time to rest.  I often find myself in the library late at night studying for an exam or writing a paper. It might be important to cut down time in the library and get to bed earlier. How much does quantity and quality of sleep impact GPA?  A survey was conducted on students at the University of Minnesota to determine just that.

The study was conducted by Megan Lowry, Kayla Dean, and Keith Manders from the Department of Psychology at the University of Minnesota.  The survey consisted of 19 questions, most of which came from the Groninger Sleep Quality Questionnaire.  Other questions focused on how many nights per week they got less than 5 hours of sleep, how many hours of sleep they got per night, and how many times they had stayed up all night studying.  A total of 103 students were surveyed in 3 different classes. Of those 103, 50 were male and 53 were female. In addition to questions about sleep quality and quantity, students were also asked to report their GPA.

The study found no relationship between either number of “all-nighters” or Groninger score and GPA.  However, they did find that average hours of sleep per night had a significant impact on grade point average.

It is easy to rationalize spending endless hours in the library based solely on amount of material covered, but it may be smarter to put down the books and get to sleep. I am definitely going to think about this the next time I find myself awake at 3:00 a.m. studying.

Study: https://sites.oxy.edu/clint/physio/article/TheLinkBetweenSleepQuantityandAcademic.pdf

Picture: http://wolkify.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/willpower.jpg

Works Cited

Lowry, Megan, Kayla Dean, and Keith Manders. “The Link Between Sleep Quantity and Academic Performance for the College Student.” The University of Minnesota Undergraduate Journal of Psychology (n.d.): n. pag. Web. 18 Oct. 2016.

One thought on “

1. Nathan O'brien

I tend to agree with you that sleep is definitely important when it comes to GPA. I wish you would have explained the methods and result of the study a little bit more. I constantly try to tell my friends that pulling an all-nighter before an exam is the stupidest thing you could do. Honestly, the logic just does not make sense. Sleep is so important to having a healthy, sharp mind while taking a test. I am a firm believer in getting at least 8 hours of sleep before an exam, regardless of whether you are prepared or not. I included this link so that you can see some of the effects pulling an all-nighter can have on your health. http://www.businessinsider.com/what-pulling-an-all-nighter-does-to-your-body-2012-9#and-it-makes-it-even-harder-to-remember-what-people-say-7
    Good job overall, but next time I would try to elaborate a little more on the subject.