Are Humans the next Martians?

Commander and chief Barack Obama recently declared that America will successfully send manned space mission to Mars by the 2030’s. What are the implications of possibility going to Mars and what it means for humanity?

mars

Are Humans the next Martians?

Mars is a tantalizing prospect as humanity’s next frontier in intergalactic space exploration. What has commonly been though of as a science fiction before may soon become a reality. But why are billionaires like Elon Musk so interested in investing large amounts of resources into colonizing Mars? It’s because the two Milky Way planets are more similar than you think, and the more we ponder the possibility of human colonization the more “real” it becomes.

Mars is an intriguing, neighboring planet because it shares many similarities to that of Earth. According to the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA), Mars is the fourth planet away from the Sun in the Milky Way Galaxy. The days are 24.5 hours and the average surface temperature of Mars is -81 degrees F. Some notable differences between the two planets are the gravitational pull on the surface and the escape velocity of the two planets. The surface gravity on Mars is 3.71 meters per second squared about 38% that of Earth and the Escape Velocity being about 45% of the Earth.

The possibility for the first time in history for humans to become an interplanetary species poses a new challenge for humanity to overcome. How will humans be able to sustain life on Mars, will humans ever freely live without the burden of a space suit, and what does this mean for galactic traveling capabilities in the future?

I believe that Mars is ultimately not a lasting destination for humanity and that it will be remembered as a day of conquest similar to the moon landing back in the 1960’s. Nonetheless, the exploration of Mars is in our sights and will be our next step in history.

-Sammy Lee

4 thoughts on “Are Humans the next Martians?

1. Dhaam Sakuntabhai

One of my friend talked about his friend who went to NASA and was super serious about making space colonies. His goal is to make the biggest transport ever to go there. Although I do think that I still would do anything to stay on earth, I still think that it would indeed be great if mankind were starting to really go there because it would be the first step to allow us to learn more about this gigantic galaxy. Here is an article about the advantages of colonizing it. http://www.redcolony.com/features.php?name=whycolonizemars

2. Celine Degachi

I’ve read articles about our species eventually being able to inhabit Mars and I think this is a very interesting topic. Especially since the Earth will eventually be gone due to pollution and other major factors, it’s important to know whether we’ll be able to survive elsewhere. Here’s an article on just how exactly NASA plans to have us eventually inhabit Mars.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/34528622

3. Tyler Mitchell Azar

It’s definitely exciting to live in a time where travel to Mars is possible. It’s crazy to think that 50 years ago, humanity had never been to the moon. We are truly a part of history right now. However, you were very right in saying that Mars is not a permanent plan for humans. It’s on the outer rim of the habitable zone and, as such, it has very harsh weather conditions that make it difficult for life to thrive there. This article lists some of the potential problems and the potential positives of traveling to Mars. I believe that in the future, travel to Mars will be looked at as one of the first stepping stones to the ultimate goals of interstellar travel and, potentially, contact with extraterrestrial life.

4. Jordan Smith

It’s really exciting to think about future space travel and visiting and colonizing other planets. Although I think the biggest obstacle to that right now is itself. The travel part. our current method of using rockets and a shuttle to get to the moon is way to inefficient to get almost anywhere else. It might work for mars, but some big innovations are going to have to happen before we go anywhere else. Like a real life millennium falcon. That’d pretty much be the end goal. Here’s an article about some alternative forms of space travel that scientists are looking into.