Drink more water it’s good for you

16466809032_07bda6dfa3_zHow many of us can actually say that we drink about 64 ounces of water every day?

When I was younger I refused to drink more than a cup of water I preferred soda, lemonade, Kool-Aid anything sweet. To me water had no taste and I didn’t see the point in drinking it. The rule in my house was that at the dinner we had to drink two cups of water before getting any other beverage.

I would have to sneak soda late at night after my parents went to bed. During my preteen years I was slightly overweight and the soda was probably the one variable that contributed to my weight gain. In our Sc200 class we saw that there is a correlation between weight gain and sugary drinks.

I was drinking on average one can of soda a day. The side effects that I felt afterward included headaches and feeling very sluggish. The pediatrician said that I needed to limit the amount of sodas I drink because I was at risk of developing type 2 diabetes.

As the years went by I actually started to enjoy drinking water. I drink on average about four to five cups of water a day.

There are so many benefits of drinking water. Well for one your body is made up of 75% of water. So it makes sense that our bodies need a certain amount of liquid in order to function properly. If we don’t give our body its daily dose of H20 then that’s when bad things start to happen. Our kidneys start to suffer the most damage because their job is to flush out all of the toxins within the body. If you are not drinking water the toxins start to build up in the kidney’s which can lead to problems later on like kidney disease.

There are so many benefits that water can have for your skin as well, it can make you look younger and clear up acne.

Did you ever notice how your body feels so tired if you are not fully hydrated? It’s your bodies way of saying its thirsty. Gatorades will not help quench your thirst. According to Healthline.com, Gatorade is replacing electrolytes that the body loses while working out. So yes this can be good for those that do intense workouts. But for the average American the best thing to drink if you feel dehydrated is water.

For those that are trying to lose weight water can help with that as well. It’s less likely that you will overeat.

Try to make drinking water an enjoyable experience instead of a chore. Get a nice water bottle. You customized the flavor of your water by adding sweeteners to it. There are also a lot of fruits that are 90% water like watermeloon for example.

Hers another way to tell if you are getting the right amount of water. According to WebMd, if your pee in clear or a light yellow color then that’s means you’re good when it comes to the amount of water you drank for the day. If it a dark yellow color and has a very strong odor, then that’s an indication that you need to drink more water.

But don’t overindulge on the water as with anything too much of anything can be harmful. Don’t start right away with trying to drink a gallon of water. That will not only make you sick but also constantly running to the bathroom.

Start off by making it a goal to drink at least two cups a day. Say yes to drinking water your body will thank you in the long run.

4 thoughts on “Drink more water it’s good for you

1. Benjamin R Tuohey

I love water it’s probably one of my favorite things. I drink a lot of water throughout the day I never really keep track, but it is definitely important to stay hydrated and drink water. I used to not like water but I gained an appreciation for it after wrestling and having to lose weight and sometimes not being able to drink for 24 hours in order to make weight. Hydration was very important when I did make weight in wrestling and one thing that hydrates you very well is Pedialyte. I found this interesting article about pedialyte and its benefits in the NY Times.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/09/fashion/09pedia.html?_r=0

2. gcm5149

I found this really interesting because I personally love water. I drink more than 64 ounces a day but limit myself so I don’t get sick. Water is the best source of hydration and really good for you but I do recognize that it can be harmful to you if you drink to much. There was a story of a teen a couple years ago that consumed two gallons of water and ended up dying. He died because he basically drowned his own organs. This is why I try to not drink too much water. Ideally I try to drink water with every meal because most other drinks are not as beneficial. Especially when I’ve been sick here. staying hydrated gave me enough energy to get to class. Gatorade may replace electrolytes but it didn’t help me feel as hydrated as when I had water.

3. Michael Robert Szawaluk

Believe it or not, I actually truly can say I drink 64 ounces of water a day. Water is a very healthy beverage to have not only when you are tired but when are feeling sick as well. Throughout your blog you made several valid points, but I failed to see any form of hypothesis in your writing. Drinking water is a essential part of our daily routine and, in fact, keeps the body running in a way. Water replenishes the other water we have in our body that we lose everyday. Our body comprises about 60% water, and this number accounts for several essential bodily functions, one being the regulation of our body temperate. This is extremely important because serious health risks can occur when our body overheats. Overall, your topic is a very important one to follow on a daily basis, and if you want to read up more on the health benefits of drinking water everyday check out, http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/6-reasons-to-drink-water#1.

4. Greg Belluscio

After reading this post, the first thing that came to mind was “why the heck do i drink so much more water when I am sick?”. After a little bit of searching, I found this article. While doing your research did you come across any studies showing the positive effects of drinking at least two cups of water a day?