Waking Up On The Wrong Side Of The Bed

As a college student I constant find myself waking up irritated, distressed, and exhausted. No matter early I go to bed or how many naps I take, it’s like I can never catch up on my sleep to feel fully rested. I am consistently being told, “wow someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning,” which is quite annoying if you ask me and only further adds to my bad mood. This lead to me to questioning if this statement had any factual evidence behind it. It made me ask myself, “can someone actually wake up on the wrong side of the bed?”

"Dang it."

What leads someone to wake up on the wrong side of the bed?
It turns out that though you may not physically be waking up on the wrong side of the bed, you possibly could metaphorically. There is a halfway point between waking up from your sleep and being totally ready for the day. This is called sleep inertia and it includes a period of time of slight lethargy and drowsiness. Within this time period it is usually customized whether the mood experienced in this state will continue throughout the day or wear off. According to Peter J. Bentley, the author of Why Sh*t Happens: The Science of a Really Bad Day, whether you are going to have a bad day or night is determined by your very own mindset. It has been shown that when we think our day will be bad, it most likely will. It is due to these findings that I have come to the conclusion that your mindset for the day determines if you have woken up on the wrong side of the bed or not. This is an example of causation equals correlation. Waking up not looking forward to the day and being in a bad mood can lead to a bad day; however, having a bad day can help further your bad mood.

grumpy-cat

Does a negative mindset effect the outcomes of our day?
Since our mindset has a large effect on our moods, it made me question whether it also effects our success. According to a study done at Ohio State University, our bad moods effect our work performance. When employees started off the day in a pleasurable mood, their opinions and experiences were more positive. Where in contrast, when employees started their day of badly, everything that followed had a negative side to it as well. In conclusion, we should put our best foot forward to be positive and optimistic that way we can find more success throughout our day.

After researching this topic, I found myself surprised that we don’t actually wake up on the wrong side of the bed. It shocked me to discover that our mindsets are what determines how our days will proceed and effect our actions throughout the day. I strongly encourage you all to consider this when you’re feeling particularly irritated or down.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12531174

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/11/morning-mood_n_2273001.html

http://www.popsci.com/scitech/article/2009-05/science-really-bad-day

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/04/110404151353.htm

3 thoughts on “Waking Up On The Wrong Side Of The Bed

1. Darby Helen Smith

Something that caught my attention from this post was the mention of a persons mindset. I think that it is very true that whether a person has a positive or negative mindset towards their day will effect their mood. I find myself ruining whole days by hyper focusing on one thing I am not looking forward to and letting it drain my positivity. Also, whenever I have an enjoyable event that I am excited about, it tends to brighten my mood for the entire day. After reading your blog post I think that it would be most rewarding to try to look for those enjoyable moments in each day, even if they are small, to bring about more happiness!

2. Jennafer Palmer

Some days I wake up and I feel like the day is going to be bearable and I actually feel energetic enough to get out of bed. Then some days I wake up wishing the day was over and I can go back to sleep. I wonder if mental health affects the amount of sleep inertia that a person has. It is known that people who suffer from depression do sleep more and are sluggish. I will say though that a negative mindset does alter how a persons day will go. At the end of the day I think that if a person wakes up and tells themselves that the day will be a good day despite how they are feeling.

3. rlw5445

Just the other day I had the grad student that I work under in a psychology lab here at Penn State explain his irritable mood with that common saying “I woke up on the wrong side of the bed”. I, as many of you can agree, have had those days where it seems as if nothing is going right. It is our first instinct as humans to blame misfortunes on a thing psychologists call an external locus of control. When things are going in our favor we attribute that to our abilities, but when things are flipped and in fact not going our way, we like to attribute those failures to external factors. This relates with that famous saying “A poor workman blames his tools”. In order to combat this one must take responsibility for those things that are in his/her control and maybe you can turn that bad day upside down.