Effects of MSG

In the past weekend, I ate at a Chinese restaurant and it was quite good. Unfortunately, I got extremely nauseous afterward. I talked to my parents about it and they said that Chinese restaurants commonly carry food products that carry MSG. I got stomach pains and my parents assumed it was from MSG since they did not think my body was used to it.

MSG is a enhancer that is usually added to various Chinese dishes. It is generally termed as safe but its safety is actually quite debatable. The additive of MSG has been recorded as causing several adverse reactions to human beings such as: migraines, chest pain, vomiting, and rapid heart palpitations.

When I went out to eat, I felt overwhelmingly nauseous and I experienced some of the previously listed symptoms including a moderate headache and rapid heart palpitations. I thought to myself that I may have been experiencing the side effects of MSG and I knew that I should research the effect of it on human beings.

So what I did was research several studies on the effects of MSG on people. This research came up to find a lot of different studies on MSG levels on rats. When conducting studies on the obesity of animals and humans, they both resulted in varying insulin quantities. The study revealed that an increased amount of plasma insulin and corticosterone will ultimately result in high levels of glucose in MSG-obese rats. From a study done, it was concluded after significantly analyzed data that rats that were MSG-obese had a greater amount of plasma levels than the rats of the control group. This suggests that MSG-obese rats develop glucose intolerance quicker and more efficiently.

fat-rats

picture link

3 thoughts on “Effects of MSG

1. Melanie Noemi Campos

Wow this was a very useful article! I will be keeping this in mind for future reference. I have had this happen to me from eating at a restaurant downtown. I ordered it online and figured it did not sit well because of the car travel yet i never imagined it could possibly be due to something like this! It is quite disturbing that they are allowed to put this in foods whereas in other countries things like this are more regulated. I looked it up and found some quite disturbing information here http://www.fda.gov/food/ingredientspackaginglabeling/foodadditivesingredients/ucm328728.htm.

2. Alex Felton

I just wrote a blog on this earlier this week and found the topic so interesting. It is crazy how a flavor enhancer that has been used since the early 1900s is still being debated on whether or not it is harmful. Along with the mice experiments, I also found some earlier studies that involved people but with a catch, small samples and control groups (high p-values). I think the whole MSG craze is more about food sensitivity than an actual danger. Heres the link to some of the smaller studies on humans:https://dash.harvard.edu/bitstream/handle/1/8846733/Sing05.pdf?sequence=1