Will Wet Hair Give You a Cold?

It’s a classic phrase as old as time: wet hair will give you a cold. Countless times over the course of my childhood, I can recall my mom or my grandma scolding me right after I hop out of a fresh shower before school, and rush to get changed and run out the door: “Don’t even think about leaving this house with wet hair, you’ll catch a cold!” Of course, this phrase stuck with me, as it has to many others over the course of time, and I’ve always been mindful to grab a blowdryer quickly before leaving the house with wet hair. However, I’ve often wondered, how accurate is this phrase? Is there truly a risk to leaving with wet hair and going outside of catching a common cold? I decided I needed to turn to research for the answer.

The Origin of a Cold

Traditionally, a “cold” is defined as a viral infection inherent in one’s nose and throat, otherwise known as the upper respiratory tract, that usually lasts over a period of about 10 days, and causes a number of symptoms including a weakened immune system, a runny or stuffy nose, a mucus-filled or inflamed throat, and heavy congestion (Mayoclinic.org). The beginnings of a cold are usually when a small invader known as a virus is transmitted through contact with the already ill, and is capable of latching onto the lining of your throat or nosecontact with the already ill, and is capable of latching onto the lining of your throat or Image result for a common coldnose (webmd.com). Eventually, as your white blood cells and immune system team up to destroy the virus, you are weakened, and your body’s defense takes a temporary hit. The cold is the cause of millions of sick days taken for school and work for adults and children alike as they take the time to rest, but especially children, who are at the highest risk of colds, and lose about 22 million school days a year due to this illness (webmd.com). In fact, webmd.com further states that Americans are estimated to have one billion colds annually, a shocking statistic.contact with the already ill, and is capable of latching onto the lining of your throat or nose (webmd.com). Eventually, as your white blood cells and immune system team up to destroy the virus, you are weakened, and your body’s defense takes a temporary hit. The cold is the cause of millions of sick days taken for school and work for adults and children alike as they take the time to rest, but especially children, who are at the highest risk of colds, and lose about 22 million school days a year due to this illness (webmd.com). In fact, webmd.com further states that Americans are estimated to have one billion colds annually, a shocking statistic.

So, now that we know what a cold is, let’s attempt to break down the causes of a common cold, and whether or not wet hair comes into play.

The Triggers: Does Wet Hair Come into Play?

According to Claudia Hammond, a contributing writer to BBC.com, cold or wet weather is in fact the most commoImage result for a common coldn cause of colds, due to studies in Germany and Argentina that have discovered a greater amount of colds in the winter, as well as in countries with traditionally hotter weather including Malaysia and Guinea, where colds are most common in the rainiest parts of the year. However, in addition to this, a common rebuttal is that winter is the most common time to catch a cold because most people choose to spend their time indoors, where they are in closer contact with other’s germs. In order to test this, a variety of experiments have taken place in lab settings in order to prove once and for all if cold and wet climates are to blame.

The Studies

The most frequent experiments, as Hammond discusses, have been under controlled laboratory conditions in which experimental volunteers are exposed to the a cold virus under lowered temperatures. In a number of studies, the group exposed to the colder conditions more frequently contracted a cold, however, for the most part, results remained inconclusive. One study, however, offered a bit more insight and success into this question. The director of the Common Cold Centre in Cardiff, a part of the UK, decided to investigate whether the virus is triggered by being cold and wet (Hammond). In order to accurately investigate this question, he subjected his volunteers to, similarly, damp and cold conditions in the lab. However, where this experiment differed was that he instead sent them out into the real world to go about their daily lives, socializing with others who may or may not have the cold virus.

Included in this experiment, Eccles randomly assigned half of his people to sit with their feet in cold water for around twenty minutes, while half sat with their feet in an empty bowl for twenty minutes (Hammond). According to Hammond, while there was no difference between frequency and nature of cold systems after the first few days, four to five days following the experiment, twice as many subjects from the group that stuck their feet in the cold water had contracted the cold virus.Image result for wet hair with a cold

However, in another experiment conducted at Baylor University, 44 people were exposed to a cold virus, and randomly allocated half to stand in a cold room (Shape.com). However,they found that those who were exposed to colder conditions in the room were no more likely to contract the virus than those who were not (Shape.com).

So what all does this mean?

Conclusion

Of course, these results are all conflicting, and nothing is clearcut. In order to have a viable conclusion, there has to be a realistic way in which wet hair or chilled feet can give someone a cold. According to Hammond, one common theory involves the thought that the blood vessels that are responsible for dispersing white blood cells in a person’s throat and nose are constricted when your body is cold. Supposedly, once one’s hair dries and your body is warmed, the white blood cells are restored as they dilate and return to normal (Hammond). However, none of these results are concrete.

The overall conclusion I have reached through my research is that although there is no concrete study that proves that wet hair causes the cold virus, it could very much help the process along, as it affects the white blood vessels and their reaction time. So maybe, although the science isn’t one hundred percent in unison, it might be the right idea to listen to your mother, and wait until your hair dries before leaving the house.

Image 1    Image 2     Image 3

8 thoughts on “Will Wet Hair Give You a Cold?

1. Thomas Tatem Moore

This article is one that I found very relatable because I have a bad habit of taking a shower too close to my first class, and therefore leaving my room with wet hair on my way to my first class. While the scientific evidence wasn’t one hundred percent concrete in this article it still caused me to maybe change the way I go about things in the mornings before class. I now will be more careful of leaving the room with wet hair, especially with the cold Penn State weather looming.

2. Nathan Andrew Morningstar

Having had completed Human based Diseases last semester, I kinda enjoyed this article , the only thing that wasn’t fully explained was that the cold is made up of a collection of different virus types. I think that it this is also good article because It remind me of when my mother would yell at me and tell me that I would get a cold for going outside with a wet head. Now I just avoid people that seem sick. This site covers a little more on what the cold is and what it does to the body along with some surprising facts http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/five-surprising-facts-about-the-common-cold-23293218/?no-ist

3. Liz Galante

i really enjoyed this blog because whenever I think about going outside with a wet head my dad is always yelling at me that I am going to get sick and I am not going out until I dry it. Truthfully, I always get really annoyed and think he is being dramatic because I am aware of how paranoid he is over everything so I figured this was just another thing to add to his list. However, after reading your blog I definitely believe what he is saying much more being that your studies and information proved how a wet head does in fact cause the cold. The cold is something people throw around as a sickness that is completely casual (which for the most part it is) but I researched and found some interesting things about the cold that doesn’t make it so casual anymore.
    http://www.treehugger.com/health/13-crazy-facts-about-common-cold.html

4. Taylor Rodrigues

I really enjoyed reading this article because my mother always told me to blow-dry my hair before i went to bed or went out and I always wondered why does it matter? I feel like when I walk out of my front door with wet hair, I feel incomplete and when it is cold out I feel much colder rather than if my hair was dry. I also liked your conclusion with how you stated that studies have not proved this fact yet but you suggested that we should still listen to our mothers and dry our hair before we go out! In this article online http://www.healthyandnaturallife.com/why-you-should-never-go-to-bed-with-wet-hair/
    that discusses the same topic. It discusses how one’s scalp could “lose heat energy,” and how it could “attract certain bacteria.”

5. Christina Rae Locurto

I remember hearing this phrase frequently in my childhood as well. Very solid blog post, however I noticed something that I think could be a conflicting resolution. In Hammond’s experiment, you stated that the participants were exposed to the cold virus in lowered temperatures. I think this study would be a little biased, because you’re not always going to walk outside where the cold virus is directly forced onto you. I think a more realistic experiment would be having participants be exposed to cold and rainy temperatures in the natural world, where no type of cold/flu virus is being controlled. I think this way the numbers would be more realistic. I also think in a way the Hammond experiment suffers from the Texas Sharpshooter Problem, but that’s just my opinion.

6. Jason Schwartz

I like the examples and studies you showed because it looks factual. It makes sense that if you hair if cold you may be more susceptible to a virus, but do you think there may be a third confounding variable that could cause this reaction. What if its the actions of someone who has cold air. Remember correlation doesn’t equal causation

7. Michael Mandarino

When I was little my parents would always tell me not to go outside with wet hair because I’d get sick so I guess I know exactly why they’d say that now. From my own experience I’ve also found that wearing short-sleeved clothes in extremely cold weather is also an easy way to catch a cold/get sick, which makes sense based on the findings of this study. Thanks for sharing