Does Your Eye Color Mean Anything?

Even when I was a little girl, random people would come up to me and compliment me on my eyes. My bright green eyes have constantly caused people to stop a conversation to tell me how beautiful my eyes are. I am not going to lie, I love being complimented on the color of my eyes, but little do people know I have absolutely horrible vision. I never realized how bad my vision was until the 5th grade when my eye doctor told my mother I desperately needed glasses. The older I got the worse my eyesight got; each doctors appointment  my contact prescription would go higher and higher. So, could there be any possible causation between light eyes and bad eyesight? If so, this would mean the Null Hypothesis would be there is no connection between light eyes and bad eyesight, while the Alternative Hypothesis would be there is a connection between light eyes and bad eyesight. Picture2b1765486a1b924bad87c114d42be543

Evidence

When looking to discover which of my hypothesis was correct, I came across a lot of interesting studies and news articles. This study,  was conducted to see if darker eyes have better reaction times than lighter eyes. The study observed 59 male rugby athletes regarding a peripheral vision test and a goal-kicking test in order to determine if the darker eyed rugby players had a faster reaction time than the lighter eyed rugby players. At the end of the study it was concluded that the dark eyed rugby had no significant difference than the light eyed rugby players. Although this study supported my Null Hypothesis, there could have been a number of confounding variables and it is unclear the number of light eyed rugby players that are being tested versus the number of dark eyed rugby players that are being tested. According to an article by Everyday Health, lighter eyes tend to be more sensitive to lights. People with lighter eyes have less pigment in their eye than a person with dark eyes. So by having less pigment in your eyes cause you to have worse vision? According to UCSB Science Line, the answer is no – pigment does not effect your vision. But just because pigment does not effect your eyesight, could it be effecting something else? According to Everyday Health, there is a greater chance that people with lighter eyes have a better chance of developing cancer. Why is this? Since people with lighter eyes have less pigment, they have less protection of Ultraviolet Rays, which can increase one’s chances of melanoma of the uvea in the eye. According to the Ocular Melanoma Foundation, Ocular Melanoma has about 2,000 to 2,500 cases in the United State each year. So even though you may have lighter eyes and have a higher chance of developing Ocular Melanoma, it is a very rare cancer that one with lighter eyes should not worry too much about. The easiest way to prevent Ocular Melanoma is not to stare at the sun and to wear sunglasses on bright, sunny days.

Take Away

All in all, the color of your eyes do not have any effect on your vision. For me, I guess I was lucky to have pretty eyes but just unlucky to have bad vision. Therefor, the Null Hypothesis would stand and eye color has no causation to eye vision. Even though eye color does not effect your vision, light eye color can increase your chances of developing Ocular Melanoma. So although my vision may not be affected by my eye color, my eye color may cause me to have a slim chance to develop Ocular Melanoma!

eye__labeled__nklr_iqft

picture

Work Cited

http://www.ocularmelanoma.org/disease.htm

http://scienceline.ucsb.edu/getkey.php?key=2682

http://www.everydayhealth.com/vision-center/does-eye-color-reveal-health-risks.aspx

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11769902?ordinalpos=1&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_DefaultReportPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum

http://www.cancer.org/cancer/eyecancer/detailedguide/eye-cancer-risk-factors

Pictures

https://www.pinterest.com/nettbett/pretty-eyes/

Cataract

8 thoughts on “Does Your Eye Color Mean Anything?

1. Maura Katherine Maguire

Really interesting post! I have actually wondered this same thing. I have very light blue eyes and while I do enjoy the color of them I feel they are the reason for my awful eyesight. My family jokes that I am basically blind (which I am) but my family members have nowhere near as poor of eyesight as me. I have an extremely high prescription and wonder if this is due to the lightness of my eyes? I also have the worst time seeing when it is sunny out. The brightness affects my eyes heavily and causes blurriness and pain. I wonder if my light eyes/ harsh sunlight are the reason for my bad eyesight.

2. Jacob Alexander Loffredo

Great article it was interesting even though I found an article that disagrees with your conclusion on eye color. I have read as well as heard on many separate occasions that eye color strongly affects baseball players hitting performance. The lighter the eye color the more sensitive the eyes are to bright lights hence why many baseball players have a substantially worse batting average during day games. Here is a article on star baseball player Josh Hamilton explaining pretty much everything I jut claimed about the lighter pigment affecting batting average production.Here is another article article that expresses the correlation between eye color and hitting in baseball shows the eye color break down as well as other factors that go into this study about eye color.

3. Matthew Porr

I thought this post was very interesting and well written. I feel as if the study with the rugby men was a little small and that maybe there would have been different results had there been a larger study. I believe there is still work to be done on this subject. However had this been true, wouldn’t we have seen an affect on people that wear colored contacts? Would their reaction time been slower if they had blue contacts in over their own eye color?

4. Molly Mccarthy Tompson

I’ve wondered about this question for a long time. I, like you, have green eyes. I have 20/20 vision and do not wear glasses. My eyes are sensitive to light, however. Maybe that is a difference between light and dark eyes that could be researched. Your information was thorough and clear, and you did a good job of incorporating some of the things we learned in class like null and alternative hypotheses. You did a good job of describing research, studies, and results. Overall this was a very good post.

5. Kaitlyn A Kaminski

Hi Gulianna,

I loved reading your blog post because I have dark brown eyes and everyone would always tell me that my eyes are strong than those of green/blue eyes while looking at the sun. I know I still have to be careful as you mentioned in the post about Melanoma, but I am better protected than those who do not have brown eyes. I know color has some things to do with how your eyes are, but I think it is a small fraction because everyone in my family except for my dad has brown eyes and we all wear glasses/contacts. I think only we can protect our eyes for the future and be careful with how we go about taking care of them. Sunglasses can do wonders and I think people need to realize that. I found a journal piece (https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Kuno_Kirschfeld/publication/17048141_Carotenoid_Pigments_Their_Possible_Role_in_Protecting_against_Photooxidation_in_Eyes_and_Photoreceptor_Cells/links/568bae9808aebccc4e1c02a0.pdf) on how the pigments in your eyes play a part in protecting them and how they work. I hope you take a look at this and continue to learn more about this topic. Good job, overall!

6. Asaad Saleh Salim Al Busaidi

Hi,
    I really liked the post. I think that you have included many studies and provided good evidence that support the null hypothesis. Furthermore, my eyes color is brown, however, I needed to wear glasses for the last 5 months, which made me intrigued about hypothesis that was tested in your post. In addition, I think that it would be helpful for the readers to understand how the second photo correlates or connects with the hypothesis being tested, as it has a lot of information and needs background in medicine to understand it. I also think that it would be helpful for the reader to make his/her decision about the cause and effect relationship between eye color and eyesight if you included how significant the differences were in the studies results and analyze the studies results such as the things measured in the studies and if it suffers from the Texas Shooter Problem. Overall, I liked how organized the post is and how it is supported with evidence from multiple studies. I did some research about the topic and found the same results that you found in the post (link is provided in the end). I also found that In addition to the difference in vision among different eye color, some people also claim that eye color can cause other differences such as the way people see things.

http://www.scienceforkidsclub.com/eye-color.html

7. Julia R Martini

This topic was so interesting! I would have never thought about correlating eye sight with eye color. I love how you organized it and added a multiple hypothesis. I have green eyes but they are just basic eyes, nothing special about them and I have good eyesight. My sister has extremely light blue eyes and has needed glasses almost all of her life. I thought the conclusion was going to be that they are correlated because of my sister and I so I was disappointed when it wasn’t. The only thing I would add to the post is more science about he physical eye. Add why some people have a certain colored eye and others don’t and how we see and why some people have blurry vision and others don’t.
    http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0039625797800203

This is an experiment about eye color and some factors that may effect it. You should check it out!

8. Michael Robert Szawaluk

I have green eyes, too, and as such I can relate to the evidence you presented. My eyes are very sensitive to light. I wear sunglasses as much as possible because of that sensitivity. I found I have much less tolerance for the sun than others, especially playing baseball or on the beach, where the sun reflection off the sand and water is magnified. I do have excellent vision, though, so I am an excellent example in support of your Null Hypothesis that the color of eyes does not affect vision.
    While researching the topic, I found an article by Prevention, http://www.prevention.com/health/eye-color-and-health/slide/6, that states that women with light eyes may tolerate pain better than women with dark eyes! It was a small study, so I researched on Google Scholars and found a book, named Eye Color: A key to human and animal behavior (page 13), https://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=Eye+color%3A+A+key+to+human+and+animal+behavior&btnG=&hl=en&as_sdt=0%2C31, which referenced that ethnic groups with dark eyes had stronger reactions to pain than ethnic groups with light eyes. I do think I have a pretty high threshold for pain – at least that is something!