Creatine Vs Protein

At a young age I began to lift weights and develop a love for lifting. I never took any type of supplements or even protein for that matter. As my body began to develop and mature I felt like I could use something to help me recover and even help me get stronger; other than food alone. When people first start taking workout supplements they usually look toward two very common and much disputed products in the eyes of doctors and health physicians; Creatine and protein powder. Both Products are very different, protein does not have a bad connotation behind it as does creatine which is more of a controversial product with some health scares.

Health facts and lifting benefits of Creatine and Protein 

Creatine is most common for increasing athletic performance as well as increasing muscle mass. Well first off, creatine is found in foods an within the body; our bodies produce creatine. After a workout a molecule called ATP is depleted and is also your main source of energy so what the creatine does is regenerates the ATP which is actuality is helping you recover faster from soreness and rebuild the muscle fibers. Also a benefit many people like about creatine is that when ingested it gets to your muscles an absorbs water thus making them looks fuller. ¬†From reading off of websites and reviews you can see people swear by this stuff and mostly rate all creatine products very well but there is more to is than just results. According to Dr. Murtaza Ahmed in this article he says that he isn’t against creatine but people should know that there is very little knowledge about the long term affects of creatine. In the same studies done by Dr. Murtaza sometimes creatine doesn’t work with certain people but when it does what it is doing is increasing the short term supply of energy in muscles. With that being said, According to WebMD some possible side affects include dehydration (when taking creatine drinking a gallon of water daily is suggested), kidney stones, and nausea.

Protein powder is considered to be a safer and more studied product than creatine. It contains high levels of branch chain amino acids and combined with exercise will help build muscle and assist in recovery. Protein, as many people already know its main function is to build and repair the body, according to Professor Uhlen from Stockholm, all major organs such as the liver, hair,skin, etc. are made of protein so protein powder doesn’t only need to be used as a workout supplement it is good for you in general to add a shake into your diet here and there. Like I said, protein isn’t much of a risk I would say common protein powder is low risk low reward to be honest; it is not going to get you huge.

Image result for creatine vs protein meme

CONCLUSION

Doctor Mike Roussell says in this article that protein shakes are good all around for the reasons mentions earlier throughout my blog. Creatine like we have learned is more a a complex workout supplement, absorbing water in the muscles to make you look bigger as well as to help with recovery and energy. I would say that both supplements have their benefits If I was to recommend one I would say creatine because many foods have protein but few have creatine so the protein you can get through the intake of many types of foods but the creatine would be more convenient to take as a powder. The null hypothesis of whether creatine and protein produce results would be denied because both products are beneficial to the body and aid muscle growth.

http://www.muscleandfitness.com/supplements/build-muscle/everything-you-ever-wanted-know-about-creatine

Creatine : The Science Behind The Supplement

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-873-creatine.aspx?activeingredientid=873

http://www.livescience.com/49533-human-protein-atlas.html

2 thoughts on “Creatine Vs Protein

1. Benjamin R Tuohey

I find this post very relatable. I enjoy working out and lifting weights quite a bit. I have always found that when I took creatine it was always a lot easier to put on mass in a much shorter time. I always would use creatine in off seasons to build muscle and put on weight. I still take protein as well, but feel as if creatine is the way to go for more mass in a shorter period of time. Here are some basics to creatine and the benefits of it https://breakingmuscle.com/fuel/the-crash-course-on-creatine

2. Justin Passaro

Jacob, I have gone through this personally myself. I played ice hockey for 16 years and towards the later stages of my career, when I was 15 or 16, I started to bulk up to try to through my weight around on the ice. I noticed that when I took creatine, I would seem to retain a lot of water. I did notice improvements in the gym but after I would stop taking the substance, I would start to lose some of the weight that I was able to put on. There has been a lot of debate involving the supplement. Check out this site for some facts and myths.
    http://flowathletics.com/creatine-7-myths-just-wont-die-4-unappreciated-truths/