Zombie students?

There is something wrong with the students in this year’s class.  Or me.

First, by their own admission, only two have talked with anybody about the Monty Hall problem.

wrnkly fingers.jpg

Second, prompted by one of the Otago Zoology Class of ’84, I talked about a recent paper on why fingers and toes wrinkle in the bath tub.  [Wrinkling may be a controlled shift from dry-weather to wet-weather tire tread.  No kidding.]  I tested the story on my kids, my wife, and my graduate students, all of whom thought it a cool yarn.  But when I finish telling the class, they are just sitting there, no reaction. I wait.  Nothing happens. Zip. Nada. So I say, Was that cool? Nothing. Really, you don’t find that cool? More nothingness. On my way back to the podium, I get steamed up. OK, which of you found that cool? Hands up NOW. About half of them put their hands up. 

Third, worrying that Monty Hall and wrinkles were for nerds only, I rearranged my running order and bumped up ‘Does prayer heal?’. Last year, that topic caused a near riot. This year, a few questions.

bored-students-1wbwds9.jpgSo, what gives? Maybe this stuff is uninteresting, in which case I am the wrong guy for this job. But an even worse hypothesis is that last year’s class were mostly freshmen, while this year’s class are mostly old timers. Is it possible that experienced students are less emotional, even world weary and cynical? The undead? Might be me soon.

4 thoughts on “Zombie students?

1. FORREST J BONJO

I dont know dude, I thought the Monty Hall thing was pretty cool, I still dont get it, but it really burned up the time that day you explained it. I guss people just seem disengaged thats what ive noticed. Honestly the smoking thing was kinda boring and totally get why you did it and it was a good example of how non scientist people adapt to scientific information over time. I guss im just a smoker who is being bombarded with anti smoking stuff all the time and believe me I know the risks associated with it. I feel like its really interesting that as Americans we pride ourselfs on our democratic values and our social tolerence. However increasingly in America attributes such as being obease or smoking have become stigmas, little negatives people asess when they look at you. It is not like this everywhere in the world. When I flew to the Netherlands this summer the Pilot came on and said “we have now entered what is widly considered to be the most tolerent airspace in the world!” I thought he was joking but I came to realize the truth soon. It was a compleatly different social environment where people no matter what were not socially ousted on the basis of a personal activity or attribute. What a change for two weeks that was.

Reply
  2. model student

Andrew,

Is it possible that these are in fact the most engaged class you’ve ever had, so inspired that they are working as a team to conduct an experiment on you?

Reply
  3. MADELINE KAY LABORDE

You should try doing the most controversial thing you can think of. That would start a riot. Maybe some more things about the origin of life, or maybe even the origin of the universe.

Reply