- Magic demonstrates that it is easy to believe what isn’t true.
- The scientific method is really important: a lot of people are wrong, and a lot of people let their politics color their beliefs.
- As College graduates, you should be persuaded by facts. If beliefs get mixed in, that’s ok, but you should see if you can reconcile your beliefs and the facts.
- Always be a little skeptical of what people are telling you, especially if they have an agenda.
- Magicians exploit the tendency of humans to see patterns where none exist.
- Magicians exploit our assumptions about cause and effect.
To which I would just add the one rule of science which magicians really, really demonstrate: Don’t assume something weird, surprising or counter intuitive has a supernatural cause just because YOU can’t explain it.
Photo credits: Tara Carson