How big?

Yesterday, the classes for Fall 2012 rolled over automatically for Fall 2013. This means if I take no action, I have the same timetable slot and class room for next year. Result: the same as this year – 173 students of all ages.  
There are two alternatives.
First, restrict the class to freshmen and sophomores. I am inclined to think I should. I am trying to give students permission and the skill set to think critically. They need that from the get-go at College.
And second, scale-up.  Based on classroom availability, the options are to increase to 316 students…. or (gulp) 726. The 726 option would look like this: 

100ThomasSmall.jpg

This time last year, I was considering scaling down to the elite few. I was persuaded not to. And I am glad I was. So now the issue is the size of the scale up. Could I fill 726 seats with freshmen and sophomores? And could I handle it?
The science geek in me thinks the equation looks like this: double or treble the potential impact, minus the reduction in quality that would go with double or treble the number of students, minus the reduction in my research that would go with such a big scale up. How does that equation balance out? 
That, dammit, depends on unknowable scaling coefficients.