Meet 220: Michelle Rockower

“Meet 220” is a series of posts featuring staff of the Smeal Professional Graduate Programs. “220” refers to the suite of offices within the Business Building where the team is housed.

Michelle Rockower, Online Programs Coordinator, Professional Graduate Programs

What’s your role with the Smeal PGP office?

I am an Online Programs Coordinator for several masters’ degrees and graduate certificates. I complete a very wide range of tasks on a daily basis, which I love. I could be chatting with an online student about the admissions process one moment and in a program planning meeting the next. I am involved in the details, but I also have the ability to help coordinate and influence the direction of the programs.

What did you do prior to coming to Smeal?

Before I began my position with Smeal, I worked for the Office of Communications in the Penn State Eberly College of Science for a short time. Prior to Eberly, I was a Facility Coordinator for the recreation division of Penn State Athletics.

What’s your favorite thing about your role?

Variety. I like juggling all of the details and different aspects of our programs and figuring out how I can contribute in the most efficient and effective way. The variety with online programs also brings opportunities to interact with a diverse group of people. I don’t like chaos, but I do thrive on tackling challenges that require creative solutions.

What’s the most interesting thing about you that we wouldn’t learn from your resume alone?

Growing up I studied tap, jazz, and ballet for fourteen years. When I was a Penn State student, I was on the very first Penn State Dance Team which was then called “Penn State Kickline”. After college, I trained for and participated in a bodybuilding competition. I also used to operate my own stand at a local farmer’s market selling cookies, cakes, and bread.

If you could trade places with any other person for a week, famous or not, living or dead, real or fictional, with whom would it be and why?

I would trade places with the shrewd-minded Martha Stewart or some other celebrity chef. I have a passion for cooking and performing – this would be a great way to experience both!