Bailey Sarian: Murder, Mystery, & Makeup

This week I will be reviewing Bailey Sarian’s YouTube channel: Murder, Mystery, & Makeup. This isn’t a typical true crime “podcast”, but can act like one. This channel is run only by the queen herself, Bailey Sarian, a makeup artist/ YouTuber. Bailey joined the YouTube platform in 2013 and started off with makeup tutorials, hauls, try ons and “Get ready with me” type of videos. After being captivated by the Chris Watts case, Bailey was inspired to add a true crime component to her makeup videos. Every Monday (almost), Bailey posts a new “Murder, Mystery and Makeup Get Ready With Me” video detailing different true crime stories. 

Even though Bailey’s true crime videos are not categorized as “podcast” episodes, one can still listen to her videos as if it were a podcast. The audio quality is clear, though not as crisp as a podcast mike would be. The main downside to her videos is that they are really only available on the YouTube platform. This could hinder accessibility to the audience because YouTube takes up more data if you wanted to listen in the car and you cannot switch apps unless you have YouTube Red. Restrictions of the platform aside, Bailey’s videos are organized in similar ways as the other podcasts I’ve covered. However, her videos are on the “shorter” side (about 30-45 minutes) when compared to actual podcasts and give a general telling of the story. She tells the story of the case very informally, as if she’s speaking to a friend–which I think is a compelling aspect of her videos and a frequently commented sentiment on all her videos. She’s very witty and sarcastic and tastefully adds humor for comedic relief while explaining gruesome cases. Though Bailey’s videos are more informal, she still does her research and watches hours of court videos so she can just give viewers an accurate summary of the case, relevant details, and court decisions. She includes images, texts, letters, 911 calls, relevant video clips, and other primary sources in her videos which helps tie the story together. 

This is a newer channel for me; I started watching Bailey’s videos only a few months ago. Since then, I’ve been hooked! I was initially hesitant to watch her true crime videos because they seemed on the (relatively) shorter side and I was initially a bit put-off by the whole makeup aspect of her videos thinking it would take away from the main true crime topic. However, after I gave her videos a try, I found her voice to be soothing and I felt like she was speaking to me like we were long-time friends just casually chatting about how Katherine Knight cooked her husband. Her makeup is always on point, so satisfying to watch, and always looks amazing. She also links all her products in the description of the video. 

My favorite Murder, Mystery, & Makeup video is “Giulia Tofana Killed Over 600 Men With Her Poisonous Makeup”. This was so fascinating because it was about a mass killing scheme in the 1600s (during the Renaissance)–by women. We rarely hear about female serial killers, let alone one from hundreds of years ago. Giulia’s story of selling poison (Aqua Tofana) to women being abused by their husbands makes me question whether you can even classify her as a “serial killer” but she is a prolific, professional poisoner. Watch Bailey’s video to learn more about how she got away with it for so many years! Also, ALLEGEDLY the Vatican had any paintings or portraits of her burned so there is no proof of what she actually looked like. 

http://https://youtu.be/0IoJBV29zMg

I hope you give Bailey Sarian’s “Murder, Mystery, & Makeup” a try!

5 thoughts on “Bailey Sarian: Murder, Mystery, & Makeup

1. I think it’s really cool that she mixed two of her passions together to make a series or just content in general. I don’t know much about her or her YouTube channel, but the fact she does Murder Mystery stories while showing off a makeup routine is really cool in my eyes. I feel like an informal story-telling of Murder Mysteries are neat too because it seems less scary that way. I can’t really explain that last part but nonetheless I feel like her series would be interesting.

2. My girlfriend has been listening to these non-stop for the past couple of weeks! She’s been telling me to watch them ever since she got hooked on the videos. She always mentions how casual the video is, kind of how you mentioned it’s just a casual conversation between people. It’s definitely a different style of a true crime podcast, but it seems to really be attracting an audience.

3. Yes! I love Bailey Sarian and I started watching her channel because of the “Murder, Mystery, and Makeup Monday” videos! For my old passion blog, I would research a serial killer, tell their story, and then eat their last meal. Bailey Sarian’s videos were a part of some of the research I would gather about some of the specific serial killers. I love how she cracks jokes and kind of makes light of the situation. It keeps me intrigued, but she is definitely one of my favorites!

4. This post was very intriguing to me because I love learning about crime, in general but specifically through tv shows. I admit I rarely watch any youtube or listen to podcasts although I may have to start if it’s all as interesting as you say. I have never heard specifically of a woman serial killer, and while I would certainly not categorize Giulia Tofana as a murderer, her story draws me in and makes me want to discover more on women serial killers in the past. Well written post!

5. This sounds like such an interesting podcast! I never get around to reading much just because of school and other things, but I love a great Murder mystery story. One of my favorite shows is criminal minds, where they solve all kinds of crimes. It always keeps me on the edge of my seat. That being said, from your perception of this channel, I will definitely have to check it out in my spare time! These stories are so entertaining and I think it is a really cool way to entertain your audience while telling a story. Great Post!