Penn State’s Foods

When I decided to go to Penn State, the variety of affordable, pretty good-tasting food was not something I considered. However, after being here for a semester, I have to say, I am impressed. So, I decided to become a food critic for my passion blog.

So, let’s start off with breakfast: the one meal of the day I would never miss. I’m a breakfast girlie, but I’m not a morning girlie. This combination leaves me running out my dorm breakfast-less in order to make it to my 9 am classes. Fortunately, this semester I’m off to a better start, but Bowls @ South provides anti-early morning risers with a solution: the Penn State Eats Mobile option: order ahead and have a designated time to pick up. The only problem is that Bowls opens at 8 am, so if you have an 8 am class, you will not be getting a nice bowl. This morning, I mobile ordered, and my bowl was ready in less than 10 minutes. This quick turnaround allowed me just enough time to finish getting ready before I grabbed my meal. 10/10 for efficiency. Today, I decided I wanted some protein, so I ordered the Rainbow Dragon Bowl for $9.99, but the MealPlan price was $3.50. So, 9/10 for price (I still wish it was free). Fortunately, it tasted delicious! 10/10. The mix of honey peanut butter, organic Sambazon açaí, granola, and fresh fruit felt refreshing and woke me up for my morning class. The environment was pretty quiet, but I’ve realized that Penn State in morning is usually pretty quiet, so 10/10. Overall, Bowls @ South has helped me get through my school week.

Image preview

Rainbow Dragon Bowl, Image Credits from Bowls @ South Website

Then, I had a late lunch and decided to go to the Panera at the Kern Building. I ordered a small mac & cheese and half of a chicken chipotle avocado sandwich. Panera does take Lioncash and the MealPlan, but does not offer any discounts for them. The price was $13.23 and, since I’m trying to stay below my $12 a day food plan, the price was 5/10. The wait for my food was around 15 minutes because I did not pay with a Panera account nor ordered ahead on the Panera app. However, I had nowhere important to be, so it was not terribly inconvenient. So, the efficiency was 7/10. However, the food was delicious and exactly what I was craving. I usually get the half sandwich at my hometown Panera and it tasted exactly the same here. This was also the first time I’ve ever gotten Panera mac & cheese and it was great. 10/10 for the food. The eating area at the Panera is super cutely designed with booths, art, high tables, and regular wooden tables. I saw students doing homework, interviews, and chatting with friends. The environment was very happy and active: 10/10.

Panera’s Chipotle Chicken Avocado Melt Sandwich, Image Credits to Desire Recipes

Be sure to read next week’s blog! More food spots will be rated!

Posted January 11, 2024 by smt6314 in category Uncategorized

3 thoughts on “Penn State’s Foods

1. Kate

First off, I want to say how aesthetically pleasing your blog platform is. The notebook is a great idea for a food blog since it resembles a cookbook but is great for other blogs as well to kind of make the blog more personal. I have also discovered the 8th wonder of the world that is Bowls at South, and I find myself eating there every day for a brunch meal before my classes start. I’ve never ventured up to the Keller building before, so I haven’t had the Panera up there, but it is convenient that you can use Meal Plan for it. Though, I agree, it is more expensive than you’d normally want to pay since they don’t have a discount. As an acai bowl fan, I am wondering if you have a favorite bowl to get, and if so, is it one of the pre-made bowls or a create your own bowl? Overall, this was an engaging and well written post to read!

Reply
  2. sbj5481

I loved reading your review on the bowls from Redifer, and the chipotle avocado melt sandwich from Panera Bread! I personally love grabbing an açaí bowl from Redifer, the price with the meal plan makes it such an enticing offer. Additionally, the speed in which it’s ready is such a plus when I am in a rush. I also have the same order as you from Panera. For some reason, my meal plan never works at Panera unfortunately which is always a bummer.

Reply
  3. mvc6586

Hi Sarah! I think it’s so funny that you’re a “breakfast girlie, but not a morning girlie” because I feel the same way. However, I will now be utilizing the Penn State eats mobile option so I can have breakfast and head to class on time thanks to your recommendation! I have never gotten Panera here because of the lack of a discount, but back home I get Panera all the time so I do agree with your 10/10 rating for the Mac and cheese and chicken chipotle avocado sandwich.

Reply