Self Care

Self care. 

Two words that I realized I used to take for granted until coming to college. Before coming to Penn State, all I had was time. Time to waste trying out new skin care products, mindlessly watching reality television until my eyes fell out, or even napping whenever I pleased. At the time, I viewed these habits as lazy, and for lack of a better word, careless. The irony is that these actions couldn’t have been less careless and that they were indeed necessary for my well-being.  

I love self care. In fact, I look forward to when I get to have a little “me time” and do absolutely nothing for a little while. That being said, I think that there is often a misconception when it comes to self care–that it’s selfish. In society, if we are not being active or doing something “productive” with our time, we can be seen as lethargic. Engaging in any form of self care improves one’s overall quality of life, and it can help prevent burnout (which I worry I’ll experience sometime during my time here). 

It’s easy to get swept up in everyday life, and especially being a college student, I find myself lucky if I have any extra time to do anything besides the bare necessities. But, it is important to remember to always prioritize yourself above all else. I personally believe that the key to living not only a happy life but a healthy one too, is taking the time to engage in self care. Even the busiest person on Earth can take five minutes to practice deep breaths or journal for a little while. Self care looks different for everyone, and what might work for you might not work for another, but that’s the best part about it! Whenever you feel overwhelmed or like you just need to take a step back, there are countless ways that one can engage in self care and do something that eases your stress. Exercising, meditating, taking a shower, listening to your favorite music, hanging out with friends, and yes, even sleeping are all simple forms of self care that can make all the difference in one’s life. 

Taking care of and reminding yourself that you are just as important as all of the other things that you have going on in your life is essential. When you partake in any form of self care, you are sending a message to yourself that you deserve to be cared for. We want to make sure that throughout life, our best foot goes forward. Self care ensures not only that, but also that you care for your mind, your body, and your soul.

3 thoughts on “Self Care

1. Hamna Ahmad says:

I love how this post felt so personal. I found myself relating to it a lot and it definitely motivated me to practice self-care. The vivid verbs you used–lethargic, partake, engage– add flare to your writing. I further enjoyed reading this because of the various sentence structures. It felt like a casual, yet very informative, post.

2. Karis Blagden says:

Wow. I feel like I relate to this post so much, and you did a fantastic job of explaining that self-care is not “selfish” or “lazy”, but rather a necessary part of maintaining strong mental health. One vivid verb that stands out to me here is “prioritize”; in terms of self-care, creating priorities and emphasizing the importance of mental health are critical in preventing burnout. This verb stands out because it makes a more powerful statement than simply saying “place” or “think of”- prioritizing feels active, like a responsibility the audience must fulfill.

3. Madi Bowden says:

“Ensure” was the verb that stood out to me most here. It works to convince readers that when they begin to practice self-care, they will see positive results. I like that you included exercise in this guide too, as many people overlook activity as something that will brighten your mood and lift you out of lethargic moods.