A Pencil for Your Thoughts: Journaling Practice

Stress is perception-based. We are helplessly linked to stress through our emotions, but there is one way out: effectively managing emotions. Of course, it is impossible for anyone to have complete control over their emotions, but there are a few ways in which we can reduce the power our emotions have over our physical responses. The less power emotion holds in our decision-making, the less stress we experience. One way to reduce the overwhelming power of emotion is by journaling. Journaling is a stress management technique supported by science, and it has also been linked to a host of other health benefits. It is an art that can take many forms, but its basic purpose in any form is to transfer thoughts and emotions to a physical surface where they can be more easily identified and managed. I explored two forms of journaling, and both have proven to be helpful in different situations.

Art Journaling

Figure 1. Unnahar, Noor. Collage-Style Art Journal.

Even if you don’t consider yourself a good artist, art journaling is useful in transforming complex emotions and experiences into something tangible and beautiful. Since art is such a broad and personal term, there are many different interpretations for what an art journal could look like. Various websites publish their own guidelines, and I found these guidelines useful as a beginner. Many people enjoy drawing as a part of their art journals, while others still enjoy using words. Collaging and painting are also popular methods of enhancing art journals and making them more emotionally engaging. For collage inspiration, see the photo on the right.

Figure 2. Spadt, Lauren. My Own Art Journal Entry.

When creating my own art journal, I enjoyed not only the creation of the artwork, but also the thought process that led to it: I re-evaluated my whole weekend and pondered what would best represent it visually. I created the image to the left to represent what I had experienced over the weekend, but it also represented a host of feelings of mine. I included memories (filling the tree, mostly) as well as encouragements for the future (the background of the image). I felt that the use of words was important and unavoidable on this day, but I am open to using fewer words in future art journals. Overall, this entire process was extremely therapeutic and uplifting. The ability to return to this image in the future is also exciting and I believe that it has the power to encourage me then just as much as it encouraged me when I was creating it.

Prompt-Based Journaling

Figure 3. Spadt, Lauren. My Journal Prompt Response.

If you are more of a word-oriented person, journaling still has the power to transform your relationship with your emotions. In fact, the majority of journals consist strictly of writing. The simple act of writing can be extremely therapeutic because transferring emotions out of your mind and onto a physical paper enables you to have more control over the emotions and to see them in a more rational light. Journaling also has the capability of enabling personal revelations about things as deep as life purpose or what action to take when faced with a great dilemma. Some people are able to journal as a diary, writing in a stream-of-consciousness style or writing in another personal style without a prompt. However, I find it extremely helpful to have a prompt in front of me when I go to journal reflectively. It is hard to go wrong when picking a prompt to write about, and there are thousands of resources that provide a list of reflective writing prompts. I used this thoughtful list during my practice because it had suggestions to start the day and to end the day. I journaled outside in the sun, and I felt in touch with nature and also in touch with my inner self. As usual, the entry started out like a bland saltine, but I ended up making so many deep and positive conclusions. I actually put a star in the margin near these important thoughts so that I could return to them in the future, which is a benefit of all types of journaling.

No matter what type of journaling entices you the most, I encourage you to try one type of journaling and see where it leads you. Maybe it will relieve stress, maybe it will reveal hidden emotions, and maybe, just maybe, it will give you a hint into what your life purpose is. It’s worth a try!

3 comments

1. Alexis McClure · October 28, 2019 at 1:02 pm ·

When I was little my mom always told me to write my feelings down in a journal. That way, I would be able to relieve any stressors and deep emotions that may have been bothering me. I love how you tried both of the journaling tactics out. You’re art journal looks amazing and the prompt-based seemed to really help in making deeper connections. I think journaling is a great and creative way to focus on yourself and to block any stressors or schoolwork out for just a moment.

2. lkp5256 · October 28, 2019 at 1:04 pm ·

I love this post! I have been journaling for a very long time and occasionally I find it difficult to put my emotions into words, so I think that incorporating art journaling is a great idea. It is easy to forget that stress is just a symbol that you care. Stress is how we react to how much we care. So, I think that by writing it all out it helps to relieve some of that stress. Emotions can be very difficult to express, but in my experience the best way to process your emotions is to externalize it. So, talk about it, write about it, or draw it out. I also liked how you showed an example of your journaling in both the art and written form. It is nice to see that you were so open to both types of journaling, and it inspires me to continue to journal and maybe try different methods because journaling doesn’t need to be constricted.

3. Anne · October 28, 2019 at 1:07 pm ·

I really admire the fact the you take time and energy out of your busy schedule to journal. In the past, I have tried to keep a journal, but couldn’t commit myself to a routine. I also love how you highlighted that journaling has effects on emotions and the way we feel. This is eye-opening to me because I used to think that writing stuff or drawing stuff in a journal was just for fun or just a routine. Maybe I’ll start a journal now!