Dr. Umar Johnson

Who knew that one video could spring up such a large discussion? Dr. Umar Johnson, a holder of a PhD is psychology (also degrees in education and political science), has a video in which he says that the black feminist are “man haters”. In this video he also states that the black feminist shaped their movement behind the white feminist movement, thus causing man hatred amount black women. He states that black women were used for numbers and then branched off to their own movement with “white women beliefs”. The beliefs he referred to were the white men oppressed white women, so when the black feminist movement began they took that model and allegedly wrongfully placed the view on black men. However, black men had no power over black women from an economic or educational view (on domestically when it comes to violence and abuse). While some of my class agreed with the statement (only black men not being able to oppress black women) as a whole we found the video really controversial. One of my classmates saw him speak and said he was an eloquent speaker, but the video changed her view of him. Dr. Johnson is an activist who fights to uplift the black male community, but it seems he has done that by bashing women in the video. Not only did he generalize black feminist by calling them man haters, but he states stereotypes and false information to try to make a point. This showed me how important it is to research before speaking. He stated, black women followed white women with the feminist movement, however, black woman paved the way by being some of the first people to speak out publicly about sexism. What this showed me was the importance of rhetoric. Not only should you used it, but when applied incorrectly,  the argument you attempt to make loses credibility, and as a speaker/ writer, you lose credibility.

2 thoughts on “Dr. Umar Johnson

1. This is a really interesting post. I always think it’s a little sad when people try to make strides toward equality but cannot seem to do so without obstructing others’ strides toward the same goal. Race and sex are such huge aspects of the strive for equality in the world, but I think it would be so much more effective if they supported one another instead of being mutually exclusive. In a lot of cases, they totally do work together but I hope that we can begin to band together in this movement instead of tearing down other groups who are working for the same goals.

2. This is good. I like your last statement, because it is really embarrassing and infuriating to hear someone speak passionately about something incorrect and offensive. It is really important to do research before speaking, so the audience doesn’t feel like punching the speaker in the face.