Research Initiation Grants ( College of Education)
Below please find information on the Research Initiation Grant Program at the College of Education at Penn State – there are similar supports available at most Research 1 institutions.
For the purposes of SPLED 575, you will prepare a 10 page grant proposal, a typical format for a research initiation grant. Your budget limit is $9,000.
- The Research Initiation Grant Program (RIGP) was established to assist faculty in the developmental stages of major research projects with the expectation that faculty will pursue external funding for the full study
- Grants may be used to support travel to study sites for data collection or analysis, instrument development, meeting with potential sponsor(s), exploratory data analysis, purchase of research materials, and funding for a research assistant. In rare cases, funds may be used for course buyouts when warranted by the nature of the research (e.g., data collection in a remote location during the academic year).
- Priority will be given to proposals/requests that demonstrate:
- Considerable promise for enhancing the national research reputations of faculty and their units through grant proposals, scholarly publications, or presentations.
- The potential to grow into significant proposals for external funding.
- Narrative: Not to exceed 10 pages; double spaced, 12 point font, one side of page only. The following information should be included in the narrative:
- a description of the conceptual framework and objectives of the research;
- a brief description of the research design, methodology, and data analysis procedures to be used to accomplish the objectives of the project (if appropriate);
- a brief description of pertinent research already conducted;
- an explanation of the significance of the work.
- Include plans for submission of this or related proposals to external funding agencies. Provide name of agency, specific program (if applicable), and anticipated deadline(s) for submission.
- Include enough specificity to allow substantive review by the Research Committee and outside reviewers (narrative should be accessible to non-specialists).
- Include proposed dates for expending funds and research/work plan.
- References: Not to exceed 1 page
- Additional information re budget and other issues available at http://www.ed.psu.edu/internal/research-office/rig/RIGLvl1