The Research Question Planning Table is used to help the researcher clarify the research question in preparation for sharing and discussing the research question with other. The RQPT should provide the following information on a single page.
- Problem statement
- Research Question: How, what is the impact of, what is the relationship between …
- malleable factor? (under control of school system)
- Hypotheses: More specific predictions about the nature and direction of the relationship between two (or more) variables.
- Specific Aims: Steps taken to test hypotheses
- what you want to accomplish in the course of the grant period
- population, independent variable, dependent variable, design & analysis
- Long Term Goals: How this work relates to your long term goals ( and needs of field)
Research Question Planning Table (example 1)
|Problem statement||Children and adults with complex communication needs lack needed literacy skills|
|Research Question||What is the impact of
|Hypotheses||Children with CCN who receive instruction will demonstrate improved performance on
|Specific Aims||Provide 20’ of reading instruction for 5 children with Autism and CCN, 3 times per week, for a 9 week period|
|Methods and analysis||Single subject multiple baseline across participants
|Long Term Goals||
Research Question Planning Table (example 2)
|Problem statement||Children with complex communication needs frequently demonstrate limited vocabulary growth|
|Research Question||What is the impact of self-paced partner training, delivered via the internet, on the number of communication models and opportunities provided by paraprofessionals working with children with CCN|
-Paras who receive training will provide more models and opportunities for use of AAC
-Children will take more turns
-Make use of more vocabulary items?
-More sophisticated utterances?
|Specific Aims||Provide five 20’ modules on communication partner supports ( e.g., model, pause, follow child’s lead, expand) for 12 paraprofessionals working in a rural school district, over a 2 month period (collect maintenance data after 3 months)|
|Methods and analysis||Within subjects repeated measures design, collect 5 points at baseline, 5 after intervention, 5 during maintenance phase|
|Long Term Goals||