Reflection of TED Talk: Why good leaders make you feel safe | Simon Sinek

Simon Sinek’s core message in his 2014 TED Talk, Why good leaders make you feel safe, seems to reflect a relational approach, but also implies a situational approach.  He discusses the vital importance for leaders to create psychologically safe environments for maximal team performance.  Sinek (2014) states,

if you get the environment right, every single one of us has the capacity to do these remarkable things, and more importantly, others have that capacity too… when we (feel) safe amongst our own, the natural reaction (is) trust and cooperation.

This view aligns with Levi and Askay (2020) who claim that “context” (i.e. environment) for a team “is the most critical factor” for team performance (p. 204).

Sinek (2014) also suggests that leaders should make personal sacrifices for the betterment of the team, and encourages transparent communication.  He states, “When a leader makes the choice to put the safety and lives of the people inside the organization first, to sacrifice their comforts, and sacrifice the tangible results so that the people remain and feel safe and feel like they belong, remarkable things happen.”  Kolb (2011) agrees that transparency is imperative when working with a group, as do I, but the transparency must pass through an emotionally intelligent mindset for the leader’s communication to be received well by the team, and for a psychologically safe environment to be constructed.  There is clear evidence that shows emotional intelligence has a greater impact on leadership than “intelligence and personality traits” (Levi & Askay, 2020, p. 195).

In the interest of creating a psychologically safe environment for my teams, a situational leadership philosophy supported by leadership sacrifice and transparent, emotionally intelligent communication, receives my full endorsement.  That stated, “Scholars generally agree that there is no single universally effective leadership style” (Levi & Askay, 2020, p. 196).  Leadership consists of influential behaviors that not only transform and uphold the “value, beliefs, and emotions of followers” (Levi & Askay, 2020, pp. 193-194), but also their goals.  For goal or task-oriented groups or individual members, a transactional leadership style may be preferred, and receiving a “kiss” (as in the example provided by Sinek), would be extremely unwelcomed by some; in fact, it would likely create interpersonal conflict.  In accordance with the Situational Leadership Model, some individuals may prefer or need a “supporting” leadership style as Sinek points to, while others may prefer or need a “directing”, “delegating”, or “coaching” style.

I cannot honestly say that I will lead differently because I listened to Sinek’s TED Talk.  I’ve been a fan of his work for many years, and my leadership philosophy aligns with his; however, I always appreciate his “Charismatic Approach” when sharing his leadership philosophy with groups.  What inspires me the most is his presentation style, story-telling ability, and his, I would argue, natural talent for motivating large, attentive groups toward personal growth and positive change.

Ryan West

Kolb, J. (2011). Small group facilitation: Improving process and performance in groups and teams. HRD Press Inc. ISBN: 9781599962283.

Levi, D. & Askay, D. A. (2020). Group dynamics for teams. (6th ed.). Sage Publications, Inc. ISBN: 9781544309699.

TED. (2014, May 19). Why good leaders make you feel safe | Simon Sinek [Video]. YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmyZMtPVodo