Yo yo yo… Farming is COOL!

For all of you doubters out there, Farming is COOL!

So, I have been thinking a lot about advertisements, seeing as the Superbowl is coming up, and I’m wondering what makes them successful, and what hinders them. Why do we sometimes laugh so hard we are crying at those Doritos commercials, or are amazed by the beautiful Clydesdale horses in the Budweiser ads,  and other times, we are like meh, whatevs.

I have had many conversations with farmers, Ag teachers, and fellow Ag enthusiasts alike about how we need to do a better job of promoting agriculture. The truth is that a lot of consumers just don’t know what modern farming is. They trust the old farms like in Charlotte’s Web with a handful of pigs, cows, and chickens. What we need to advertise is how modern farming doesn’t have to be scary. It’s fun and exciting, innovative and also traditional, and its producing the food we all eat. It’s about time that everyone knew just how cool farming is!

Here is an advertisement from the Organic Yogurt Company, Yeo Valley in the UK. Their extremely successful commercial and advertisement campaign is accredited with dramatically increasing their product sales, and revolutionizing the name of Yeo Valley across the world!

——————————————————————————————————————–

SERIOUSLY, you guys all need to watch this, its a rap about FARMING! So worth your time! Yeo Valley Advertisement <——- So cool!

——————————————————————————————————————–

You can look up more pictures and information about Yeo Valley HERE It’s a truly incredible story. And the singers in this commercial are actual farmers! All of them are employed by Yeo Valley and routinely work with the cows and the yogurt company! Here you can look at the production of the commercial.  Making of the Video!

Some people thought that this commercial was risky, trying to depict something so “country,” as a rap. However, I personally love it. This is extremely creative, its memorable, shows modern Ag in a positive lights, and even if people don’t like it, it certainly starts a conversation!

So yeah, I knew that you all knew farming was cool! Go home an enjoy some good wholesome Diary products : )

-Sarabeth

http:// www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=wTeLGESY5tc

http:// www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOHAUvbuV4o

5 thoughts on “Yo yo yo… Farming is COOL!

1. That rap was awesome. The sassy owl made the whole video. I must admit, I’ve never thought of farming as cool but I was thinking of Old McDonald and his farm. This obviously isn’t EE-I-EE-I-anything. It did intrigue me into learning more about farming. I’m a city girl through and through but I’ll try anything once.

2. Again, another successful blog! I love, love, love, love, love how you bring agriculture in such a positive light. You inform me so much on the agriculture world around me—a world that I frankly (and embarrassingly) never knew existed like this. You’re absolutely right; people do need to be more informed. People need to understand where their stuff is coming from and appreciate it! We need to cherish it and commend farmers for it. Sarabeth, thank YOU for everything! You rock! By the way, I’ve been drinking a lot more milk lately… You’ve inspired me!

3. Hahahah that is so cool! I never really considered agriculture in relation to advertising, but I guess, like any product that can be consumed, you have to get the word out somehow! Interesting post, I never really looked at modern farming as something scary, but you’re definitely right that more people need to know the benefits of it, and how innovative it can be! Great post, Sarabeth!

4. A farming rap is such an out-of-the-box idea! I agree that a lot of people don’t understand what modern farming is all about. I live in an area with a lot of farms and have friends who’s families farms, so I understand how modern agriculture is a blend of tradition and innovation. However, creative advertisements like this one could definitely help people who aren’t from a farming culture understand where their food actually comes from!

Your posts never cease to entertain me 🙂

5. On a related note to modern agriculture, I’d like to hear about your input on the topic of genetically modified crops and organic crops. And I definitely agree that consumers are a bit wary of large commercialized farms, hence the success of things like farmers’ markets. I didn’t get a chance to watch the videos, being in English class and all, but I’ll listen/watch them when I get back to the dorm!