So … God Made a Farmer

Holy Cow! So I don’t know about you, but I watch the Superbowl… for the commercials! And to be completely honest, I haven’t been really impressed in the past couple of years with the lineup. I mean, there are some good intentions in the punchlines, but it seems that some of the commercials were just lacking in…. I guess the WOW factor.

Well, let me tell you, I was VERY impressed with this years turnout. There was some really great acts. Here is sum of biggest Football game of the years best commercials… from an Ag-Enthusiasts opinion 🙂

3. Clydesdale Budweiser Commercial

Ok, so this is AH-dorable! The cute horse, the tough man who loves his animal, ah epic. This is such a great commercial because of the accurate and touching portrayal of the intimacy between animals and their caretakers. The scene at the end with the Clydesdale running towards the man is  priceless, and quite adorable 🙂

2. Got Milk!

So, no big deal, but this is the first time EVER that Milk has been showcased during the Superbowl! Oh my goodness, as a Dairy Farmers, my family is so excited to get this good publicity! This commercial is also really funny and very memorable, I am interested to see if the milk consumption increased at all this week. Good stuff right there. PS have you had your three servings of Dairy yet today?

1. So God Made a Farmer

WOW! This is moving! I still remember the first time I heard this poem by Paul Harvey, I cried, and I am not even ashamed to say it. Not only is the delivery of this poem and commercial incredible, but the fact that it played during the Superbowl! HOLY COW that is awesome! I am soooooo incredibly pumped about this commercial! What a positive portrayal of Ag… in today’s age… in this society… Wow, this type of commercial is rare. Dodge in conjunction with the FFA and Case, truly did an incredible job showing men, women and children farming. I have heard that in rooms across the country, rooms that had previously been loud with laughing and cheering became silent when this ad came on. The seriousness of this commercial was a risk that definitely paid off, because people stopped to pay attention. I hope that this can continue to draw consumers attention to modern Agriculture in America.

I called my Dad, after watching this commercial, and he barely had words. He was so impressed with the commercial, and also peoples response to it. He was actually milking during the end of the football game (what can I say, someone had to do it!) but my mom pulled it up on the computer for him! Paul Harvey was a very well respected radio personality in America’s Heartland. Interestingly enough, Harvey gave this poem at a National FFA Convention (I’ll talk about this in a later post) and once visited PA. He actually visited my family’s farm, and there is a picture of him with my Grandma! SO COOL!

Click HERE! to get to the Ram Trucks website. If you scroll down past the commercial you will find more information about the FFA:) As well as the more information about the movement of 2013, The Year of the Farmer. 

Some of the poem was cut out for the commercial, so here is the whole thing!

Oh man, good stuff right there, have a fantastic week guys,

– Sarabeth

One thought on “So … God Made a Farmer

1. Now that I think about it, Superbowl commercials really did showcase farming this year. Although all of the one’s you’ve featured were quite funny and/or powerful, “So God Made a Farmer” was especially moving. I didn’t realize that the poem that had been around before the commercial! When it came on TV, a crowded and loud apartment full of distracted people where I was watching the game suddenly got ridiculously quiet; you could hear actually people chewing haha. Thanks for the great background info!!

…And to answer your question, I’ve had two of my three servings of dairy so far. I will certainly finish up that third one at dinner 🙂